PDA

View Full Version : cd player disappears from windows

craig.b
02-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Brand new pc, ordered as components and built.
Cd player is a LiteOn LTR-52328S, mobo is Asus K8V-MX. PC is running a brand new OEM copy of XP SP2 with all current patches from windows update.

When the pc is turned on or reset, the cd player works fine. However, every now and then the cd player disappears from windows, ie the path to d:\ no longer exists, and the cd player is no longer visible from the disk management console. However, the cd player can still be ejected etc, so it is still powered.

I have checked that the cable is correctly connected. The drive is set as master on the primary IDE channel, as there are no other IDE drives in the system.
At first I had the drive as master on the second channel, but moved it to see if that corrected the issue. It didn't.

When the cd player disappears, it doesn't matter if it has been used recently or not. The first time it happened the machine had been idle for a few hours, and just now it disappeared as I was copying some photos off a cd.

Anyone got any ideas to solve this?

Jen
02-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Not sure if this will help, as you mention the device no longer displays under Disk Management as well, but may be worth a shot: Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explore (http://www.dougknox.com/index.html).

You haven't installed any drive emulation software? The device looks OK under System > Hardware Management?