PDA

View Full Version : Unusupported SD Card (Help Please)

Princess
02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
:help: :groan:

Hi All...

I recently formatted my SD Card on my PC. Now when I put my SD card into my digital camera - it comes up with "Unsupported SD Card".....What to do please? Any help appreciated.

PaulD
02-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Can you reformat the SD card in the camera? The computer possibly used FAT32 while many cameras still use FAT16 formatting.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
If the camera is USB format that too.

If it appears as a removable disk in XP (If u use XP).

A digital cam also acts as if it were a floppy (or any other removable disk).

I had a similar prob a few mths ago. I could take pics without the sd card, but then the number on the screen wouldnt decrease!

I connected the cam up and formatted it thru my computer (In XP). And it worked again.I think the prob here was the cam became corrupted, until I formatted it.

(If u have pics on the cam, copy them to a folder, before u format it).

Graham L
02-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Leave the camera alone. It's the card which was made unusable by formatting on the camera.

Get the card working again. If the camera isn't broken, don't "fix" it.

Did you format the card as NTFS? That will certainly not be appreciated by the camera. Put it back in the PC and format it in FAT.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I dont think u can format in NTFS.

Well u cant on the SD card here. It doesnt give you the option for NTFS.

Only FAT or FAT32.

Its FAT at the mo.

Same goes for the cam. You can only format it in FAT not FAT32 or NTFS.

Graham L
02-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't know if it's possible to format an SD card as NTFS. It might depend on a minimum size of card, but the headers I saw in my quick Google search made me suspect that it is possible.

Even so, an XP system is likely to default to FAT32 if not NTFS, especially if it's a big SD card.

But my point remains ... reformat on the PC to FAT if the camera won't do it. But don't try doing anything to the camera. That would be foolish. It's not the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Well I dont know about that, I tried 2 brand new sd cards in this cam a few months ago.

Put the card in, the cam wouldnt turn on lol. It wasnt until I formatted the cam itself, that the card would work, and the cam would turn on.

Graham L
02-04-2006, 02:02 PM
But that's your camera.

Princess's camera doesn't like her card after she formatted it in her PC. I presume it worked before that.

I partitioned and formatted a CF card: one partition FAT, one ext2 for Linux. It worked in my camera, which happily used the FAT partition and ignored the other. Then I made it a single partition and formatted it in FAT again, and it worked again. There are many different cameras, but I suspect that most should just accept a new (formatted in the factory) card without requiring anything like "formatting the camera". That's not "consumer friendly". Read the manual, SG. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Oops double posted. Stupid save changes button! :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 02:11 PM
lol.

I wld read the manual if it came with one. Lucky, I have the CD, since they dont have drivers online!

kezzybear
13-12-2006, 01:12 AM
I had exactly the same problem and found this link in a forum AND IT WORKED.

Try it: http://www.sdcard.org/Downloads.aspx

Hope you are successful.

Kez :thumbs: