PDA

View Full Version : modem speed on new computer v that on old

effie c
02-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi,
I am gradually transfering all my details to a faster ( at last :thumbs: )computer.
included in the specs of the new tower was a new modem-fine, BUT when I now go online I get from 37.5 to a maximum of 41.2 Kps- went back using the same plugs to the old computer- 49.2 kps
Have I got a faulty modem ?
And if not faulty how can I tweek it?
I contacted the firm on saturday and he( not my salesman, but knew who I was,"41.2 is very good - it means more people are using the net"
O K when I went back to the old machine again- seconds after getting 41.2 straight up to my 49.2
The Cpu I now have is spectacular in it's improved speed I was after- so it cannot be that :help:
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Having a faster computer, wont make you any faster, if you're on 56k.

It depends on the line, line noise (from the phone), the weather, ISP, on what you connect at.

effie c
02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi Speedy Gonzales,-
No I know that -- I was merely laughing at myself because all my growling on this site recently about my old steam driven pooter- are gone :thumbs: Halleluia !
I am downloading from the site you quoted - will run a scan and let you know later this morning
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Hmmmm ok.

You dont have to get HJT. Thats only if you're having probs, as my sig says.

godfather
02-04-2006, 12:14 PM
effie c.

The reported "connection speed" is not as relevant as you apparently believe, as to download speed.

As an instance, the old one may connect and report a higher speed, but if that speed is a bit high it will drop a bit of information (corrupted data) and have to request that those packets get resent, so the "higher speed" can mean a lower data rate.

On the other hand, a better modem might be more conservative at the speed it reports and connects at, but will give more relaible data conveyance as less corrupted data packets are involved.

Think of it this way: Your car only does 40 km/h, but the driver is more careful and does not keep getting lost.
The other car does 49 km/h but the driver is a bit reckless and keeps getting lost.

Its quite possible that the slower one may get there first, or at about the same time.

tweak'e
02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
godfather has it about right.

i would check for updated drivers. however exspecially if yourgoing from diffeet OS's the different drivers can report different speeds even if they are actually running at the same speed. there is an old trick to rewrite a file so the momdem always reports a certain speed ;)

did you install motherboard drivers?

effie c
02-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi Godfather Tweake and speedy
First I downloaded as Speedy suggested and found 8 nasties in a scan- came to delete them and was told to pay U S $29.odd before I could- then tried to copy and send to you as asked- no way can I see that-I will go back to my old favourite Ad Aware and do that
Godfather and Tweake- you just could have a point - remember GF I downloaded your forwarding of "thatgame" and it said corrupted- then I got the forwarding of yours via Sweeper and it went in- corrupted modem etc ???
Could well be- I do know the firm that I rang on saturday must have thought the same thing, although I wondered if he was protecting his sale to me, reputation with soft soap :cool:
O K I have learned something, am going to continue to change my programs over- or re install. :lol:
I admit to being euphoric - or if you like, a kid with a new toy- I sure wish I had this equpment long ago-I did have XP Pro and it worked O K but after my hardrives started make noises -and the CPU slept most of it's working time- I had to bite the bullet- and got lucky when I did
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
? I didnt suggest anything. Its in my sig.

Pay $29 for what? HJT is free.

Post a hijackthis log here, if u think you have something.