PDA

View Full Version : Problems installin Serial ATA Hard Disk

titolopez
02-04-2006, 04:52 AM
I am trying to install a brand new Serial ATA 160 GB Seagate Barracuda hard disk in my computer, but the BIOS does not recognize it.
I am planning to have 2 160 GB disks in my system.
I already have another Serial ATA 160 GB disk installed, which is running fine (Samsung).
Since the new disk is not recognized by the BIOS, I tried disconnecting the old one from the SATA cables and connecting the new disk to this cables, but it doesn't work.
I have the most recent BIOS version for my MSI KT6V (MS - 7021 Ver 1) Mobo.
Another symptom: When I connect both disks via SATA cables, the system starts the boot up, but when Windows starts booting, the picture starts to fade and the the system crashes.
My system:
Windows XP Professional Edition/Service Pack 2
DirectX 9.0c
MSI MS-7021 (KT6V) Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0 GHz) Processor
1.5 GB RAM
2 HD's (160 GB Serial ATA Samsung/100 GB IDE Maxtor)
ATI Radeon 9600 Series AGP 256 MB Graphic Card

Thanks for any help.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 08:21 AM
The new SATA you installed.

Did you connect a power cable to it as well?? So, the BIOS / system detects it?

I take it, you've configured them as 3rd and 4th Master in the BIOS, and they're not configured as RAID, in the BIOS??

titolopez
02-04-2006, 09:55 AM
The new SATA you installed.

Did you connect a power cable to it as well?? So, the BIOS / system detects it?

I take it, you've configured them as 3rd and 4th Master in the BIOS, and they're not configured as RAID, in the BIOS??

Thanks, Speedy for your interest:

Both cables, Serial ATA connector and Power connector are connected.
The configuration I have, before intsalling the new disk is:
IDE 1 -> Primary Master: IDE Hard Disk 100 GB.
IDE 2 -> Secondary Master: DVD CD ROM
IDE 2 -> Secondary Slave: CD ROM
None RAID-> Serial_Ch0: Samsung HD 160JJ

I tried the disk on another computer and it worked fine, so I formatted the disk and made 2 partitions (40 GB + 120 GB), but my PC still can't recognize it.

When I try to connect the new SEAGATE 160GB 7200.9 Barracuda Hard Disk, on Serial_CH1 (as a second SATA HD), it is not recognized by the BIOS, so I can't complete the installation.

As I said, just as an experimentation, I disconnected both the IDE HD and the old SATA HD in order to connect only my new SATA HD with the cables I disconnected from my old SATA HD, but still doesn't work.

I have just visited the vendor, and he says the problem may lie in the transfer rate of my MOBO, which is only of 150MB/s, and it seems my new HD works at a transfer rate higher than that. With other HD's you can fix that with jumpers, but my new model does not have any jumpers to work with.

Any thoughts about all this?

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 10:08 AM
IDE 1 -> Primary Master: IDE Hard Disk 100 GB.
IDE 2 -> Secondary Master: DVD CD ROM
IDE 2 -> Secondary Slave: CD ROM
None RAID-> Serial_Ch0: Samsung HD 160JJ

The above looks fine to me.

Having no jumpers on SATA is normal. They usually don't have jumpers.

As they can only be configured as Master's not Slaves.

Have you configured both SATA's in the BIOS?

If the BIOS doesn't detect the new SATA? ie: Is serial_ch_0 and ch_1 on AUTO in the BIOS?

titolopez
02-04-2006, 10:33 AM
The above looks fine to me.

Having no jumpers on SATA is normal. They usually don't have jumpers.

As they can only be configured as Master's not Slaves.

Have you configured both SATA's in the BIOS?

If the BIOS doesn't detect the new SATA? ie: Is serial_ch_0 and ch_1 on AUTO in the BIOS?

Well, I took my PC to the guy who sold me the Seagate SATA HD. Then, he tried installing a Maxtor SATA HD. At first, it was not recognized by the MOBO, so he placed its jumper in another position and it worked well.

It seems there is no way to configure HD's in the BIOS, or at least, I don't know how. Instead, it seems they are detected automatically.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Hmm ok.

First time I've heard of a SATA having jumpers. I use a 120 GB SATA on this, with an 80 GB IDE.

And this SATA definitely doesnt have jumpers on it.

Well yer there SHOULD be a way for you to configure hdd's in the BIOS, or the system wouldnt know its there / it exists. Must be a more recent Maxtor SATA hdd, if its got jumpers on it.

Like on this mobo, the SATA/s are 3rd and 4th Master.

In the BIOS.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Ah the new SATA you've brought maybe a SATA 2 hdd.

Thats what jumper this guy would have changed.

The jumper lets you switch between SATA 1 (which I would say your mobo supports), and SATA 2. (Which your mobo doesn't support).

And thats why the system wouldnt recognise / let you use it.