PDA

View Full Version : And I still have an erratic mouse!

Grimy
01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi there, I had a cordless Microsoft keyboard/mouse that drove me nuts with repeating/missing letters, and a mouse pointer that did it's own thing fairly often.
I finally gave up and have just bought a Logitech wired keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is fine, but the mouse (basic wired optical) does the same thing - darts off around the screen of its own accord (sometimes it'll be fine for 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds). I've downloaded the latest software/driver, tried different ports, disabled precision pointer in XP, tried slow pointer/fast pointer, gone through the troubleshooter(s), tried adjusting every setting I can and it's still the same. Different/no mouse pad, etc etc.
Plug an old Gateway ball mouse in and it works perfectly!! Any ideas (apart from using the old ball mouse?).
Thanks for any suggestions.
Graham.

SurferJoe46
02-04-2006, 04:45 AM
In spite of it's optical abilities, an optical mouse can still get lost if a few conditions are met.

If you don't use a pad of some sort, the optics can get disoriented from time to time...I get this...but I insist on using my mouse (Labtec Optical w/cord) on my 'puter drawer next to my kb on the artificial wood vernier. It gets lost once in a while, but since I hate mousepads, I just live with it.

The other circumstance that makes the mouse go nuts is a dirty window....I just use a very soft artist's paintbrush to clean the lense and all is well for a few weeks.

tweak'e
02-04-2006, 12:19 PM
have you tried changing the channels it operates on? sometimes they can get affected by interference.

pctek
02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Logitech wired mouse. does the same thing - darts off around the screen of its own accord (sometimes it'll be fine for 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds).
It will be the surface. Try a plain old piece of printer paper. If it still does it on that, then return the mouse for replacement.

Graham L
02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
We used to get an odd problem with some early ball mice. They would behave erratically or not at all in bright lights. It turned out to be infrared light getting through the plastic shell and overloading or causing intermittent operation of the IR sensors which clocked the ball movement. That was fixed with metallic paint on the inside of the plastic case.

These "optical" mice use light sensors (which will see visible light as well as IR).

Try shielding it from any bright lights (including daylight) and seeing if that "fixes" it.

SurferJoe46
02-04-2006, 04:42 PM
We used to get an odd problem with some early ball mice. They would behave erratically or not at all in bright lights. It turned out to be infrared light getting through the plastic shell and overloading or causing intermittent operation of the IR sensors which clocked the ball movement. That was fixed with metallic paint on the inside of the plastic case.

These "optical" mice use light sensors (which will see visible light as well as IR).

Try shielding it from any bright lights (including daylight) and seeing if that "fixes" it.

Interesting thought....I use a very bright spotlight on my desktop..Hmmmmm! Maybe!