PDA

View Full Version : ADSL connection

bpt2
01-04-2006, 11:01 PM
I have recently had a broadband connection installed which as far as I can tell is working fine. I am interested to understand however why in Network Connecitons (Win XP) the Internet Gateway (Internet Connection) is disabled and the LAN or High Speed Internet (NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller) is enabled. Should the Internet Gateway also be enabled or what does this all mean? I am using Zone Alarm as my firewall.

gibler
01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Do you have an external router, usb ADSL modem or internal card?

bpt2
01-04-2006, 11:11 PM
I have an external modem/router and network card.

gibler
01-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Well that's normal then.
The Internet Connections area is for internal ADSL cards, Cable Modems and Dial-up.

The internet Gateway is part of sharing an internet connection, but with an external router just plug the second PCs network cable directly into the router (asssuming it has more than one port). In your case, you can ignore it.

Jester
01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
All's well, then. You are getting your internet via your router/modem to your network card in your PC. The modem is the piece of equipment that has communicated with your ISP and connected to it, your PC is simply getting the data from the modem, not dealing direct with your ISP.

IF your PC was doing the logging in to your ISP then you would be using the Internet Gateway, but the way it is now your network card is simply receiving data, it doesn't know whether it's from the 'internet' or other PCs on your LAN (local area network).

Nothing to worry about mate.

bpt2
01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks for that.