PDA

View Full Version : PC restarts randomly

JimboJones
01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
For the last few days my PC has been restarting randomly. This really gets fustrating. :mad:

Once it got to a point where when you turn it on, it just shuts off and restarts straight away in continuous invervals. You can see the monitor engaging then turn off and on again.

Thought it might be my graphics card so this is the point when I opended her up and change the graphics card to my pre-upgraded one, but still the same problem. So I guess I can rule out my graphics card.

Right now my computer is working again, but the random restarting happens in longer intervals.

My computer is 6 years old.
-256mb ram
-geforce fx5200
-new 120gb hdd as old 40gb failed 1 month or so ago

zqwerty
01-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Re-seat the ram, unplug, plug back in the power supply connections on the mother board. Check the event viewer log.

JimboJones
01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
where do I find the event view log?

zqwerty
01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
control panel/administrative tools/event viewer

gibler
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Also make sure reboot on system failure is disabled (http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_disable_automatic_resta.htm) so you can read any messages.

Could be a temperature issue or failing power supply/motherboard...

Mackin_NZ
02-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Could be a motherboard with bad capacitors (http://www.badcaps.net/ident/)

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks Mackin_NZ, it was infact bad capacitors... I went go get someone to replace the capacitors then they told me it was easier to buy a new motherboard. So I did.

...a "A7S8X-MX-UAYGZ" socket a

Anyways a new problem...
---------------------------------------

I've installed the new mother board.
It boots, but after the POST bit, it just hangs. Windows loading screen doesn't come up. Then thats it, just a black screen, nothing happens after this.

Also it sometimes freezes whilen I'm browsing through the BIOS menue.

Something that took my notic was that the CPU temp was reading 55 degrees. Is this normal?

Any ideas whats going on? I'm thinking about the FSB setting I read somewhere in the manual. Which I know nothing about.

Sweep
20-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Mackin_NZ, it was infact bad capacitors... I went go get someone to replace the capacitors then they told me it was easier to buy a new motherboard. So I did.

...a "A7S8X-MX-UAYGZ" socket a

Anyways a new problem...
---------------------------------------

I've installed the new mother board.
It boots, but after the POST bit, it just hangs. Windows loading screen doesn't come up. Then thats it, just a black screen, nothing happens after this.

Also it sometimes freezes whilen I'm browsing through the BIOS menue.

Something that took my notic was that the CPU temp was reading 55 degrees. Is this normal?

Any ideas whats going on? I'm thinking about the FSB setting I read somewhere in the manual. Which I know nothing about.

Did you just put your hard drive back in with your previous installation of Windows? Have you installed the drivers which should have come with your new motherboard? Could be a chipset problem with Windows trying to load the old ones.

55 % is a little high being as you are not running anything yet.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Restarting Randomly doesn't means that hardware failer. Sometimes my computer does that for a 3 or 4 yr old comp. I suggest that get a spyware scan check and anti-virus scan check if not please check which hardware is creating the problem. I hope this will help :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I take it, this is the ASUS A7S8x-MX you're talking about??

Did you connect the monitor to the onboard video, or did you install that FX5200 in the case??

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, its the motherboard. You can see the capacitors all swollen and leaking yellow stuff. Plus PC will POST now with new motherboard whetheres old one wouldnt.

Sweep: perhaps I didn't reinstall the heatsink properly? There was a square of gel stuff that sits between the heatsink and CPU. And it looks like its all melted away. Maybe the heat isn't being transfered to the heatsink; causing this problem?

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 09:13 PM
FX in the case!!!

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I did think stuff windows not loading... then I put in the windows disk and tried to boat that.. but after the "press any key to boot" it stops with a blakc screen. CD-ROM LED no activity.

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 09:21 PM
MONITOR PLUGGED INTO THE FX5200 IN THE CASE!!!!

jamesyboi
20-04-2006, 09:21 PM
have you tried your old harddrive again? maybe the motherboard is incompatable with your cpu or psu. i think what the guy was saying is that it would be better to buy a new computer than repair the capacitors..

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Something that I noticed was that the CPU temp was reading 55 degrees. Is this normal?

If this is the ASUS mobo, the FAQ for this mobo says:

Why does the CPU temperature detected in BIOS H/W Monitor a little higher than in Windows?

It is normal.

When Windows is idle, OS will put the CPU into the low-power states(C1,C2 or C3 state).

But in BIOS setup , the CPU cannot support these states. So the CPU temperature detected in BIOS H/W Monitor will be several Celsius Degrees higher than in Windows.

FX in the case!!!

Take it out, and see if plugging the monitor into the onboard is better.

Whats the speed of the CPU??

Hopefully the CPU isn't 400 mhz, since according to the FAQ again.

Can A7S8X-MX support AMD Athlon 3200+ (FSB 400MHz) CPU?

No, the Front Side Bus of A7S8X-MX only supports 266Mhz & 333Mhz.

Because AMD Athlon 3200+ is FSB 400Mhz CPU, therefore A7S8X-MX would not support this CPU.

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, its an ASUS mobo. CPU is a AMD Athlon 1.6ghz. Don't know about the FSB.

presso
20-04-2006, 09:39 PM
quite some time ago i had a problem the same as this , pc would just reboot randomly , end the end i was able to fix the problem by turning of S.M.A.R.T disc for the drives in the bios, for some reason this used to hang my system and then randomly reboot it. This was for a old duron 900mhz (Hey it was very speedy in the days i had it) , anyway something else you could try

JimboJones
20-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm worried now.

I took out the fx and pluged the monitor on the inbuilt graphics. Same thing.

I then plugged in my old Geforce 2 card. cept as soon as I plug in the power cord the computer starts up. Very strange.

I'm starting to get worried I fried the mobo with static or something.