PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Gateway needs Ext Drive to work!!!

diamondz
01-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi

I hope someone can help. I have an Acer Aspire 5000 series (3 weeks old) and a Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G v2) WHICH IS 2 WEEKS OLD. My problem is I cannot use the laptop wirelessley without the external harddrive as when I unplug the external hard drive, I am unable to get an internet connection at all. When I connected the Gateway I did not install any new drivers etc so do not know whether there are drivers or files that the Gateway needs on the external drive, I have had a look and cannot see any. Has anyone else had this problem and how does one solve it? There seems no point in have a wireless gateway if I cannot use it as such. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Tracey. :help:

dolby digital
01-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Very strange.

Have you tried moving the laptop around to get a connection without the external hard drive i.e. move within a metre or so of the wireless gateway. In fact what is the signal level like when you are connected. I presume the laptop has an inbuild wireless lan card.

diamondz
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Yes indeed, it is very strange. Yes the laptop has inbuilt wireless card. The laptop has always been within 1 metre of the gateway. The signal strength is excellent both when the external hard drive is and is not connected, but when I bring up IE or Netscape - no go. Has perplexed me and I am reasonably computer savvy. As soon as the ext hard drive is removed - no internet.

:badpc:

dolby digital
01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
You'll just have to leave the drive plugged in :D

Are you saying that you are connected to the wireless router and then when you unplug it, it disconnects from the wireless lan (rather then checking in a browser). If you do a rescan for wireless networks, does it find it again, or can't it find it at all?

diamondz
01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
The router works fine, it is the external hard drive that is causing the problem. Internet works fine with the hard drive connected, but oes not work with it disconnected. I have tried another hard drive to eliminate any usb port issues and that produced the same result - no internet when it was both plugged in and disconnected - this points to the modem using drivers or files on my external hard drive - how they would have got there I have no idea as nothing for the modem has been downloaded to the external hard drive unless XP has put files or drivers on it. When I look through the ext drives folders and files nothing is apparent.

There does not appear to be an 'uninstall' option for the modem - ideally a reinstall would fix it - I am completely lost. Help. :eek:

diamondz
01-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Okay - now problem is gone, and am surfing wirelessly without a external hard drive attached - yay for me. Seems this laptop has a mind of its own and that the particular order you do things in can create a small blonde moment for it.

By turning of the external hard drive - leaving it for about 30 seconds and then removing it from the laptop it worked.

I appreciate your input, made me think of other options. Thanks heaps.

Tracey :thumbs: