PDA

View Full Version : No cd rom

Tontoe
01-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I have been having lots of troubles trying to get my new dvd/cd writer to install it, remembering back, i had just loaded up a fresh instalation of XP, no problems with the cd writer then, but i brought a new dvd/cd writer and then thats when all my troubles started, it just would not see the cdrom , always saying that " ATAPI- INCOMPATABLE "

Just then, i was looking in Devicxe manager and noticed i had no cdrom icon in there, there was floppies, 2 actualy, and all others had an icon, could this be the route of all the trouble ?
if so how could i fix that ?
appreciate any help given,
thanks

pctek
01-04-2006, 05:20 PM
How have you connected it? As Secondary Master or slave off your primary?
You need to have the jumper on the back of the drive set according to how you have the cables.....its better to use Secondary master if you can.

Then go into the BIOS and make sure its being seen correctly there first. Then once thats all correct, Windows should find it properly.

Tontoe
01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
How have you connected it? As Secondary Master or slave off your primary?
You need to have the jumper on the back of the drive set according to how you have the cables.....its better to use Secondary master if you can.

Then go into the BIOS and make sure its being seen correctly there first. Then once thats all correct, Windows should find it properly.

Thanks for your reply, i didn't mean to create this post as i had one already going, but i was that frustrated this afternoon trying to fix this problem, i got all mucked up.
Anyway i have tried every which way you could think of, trying to get this problem fixed, there is no way its going to except it, i hope that i can format with a flopy and try to install xp again otherwise the sledge hammer commimg out.

dolby digital
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Have you tried the Pioneer in your spare pc and see if it recognises it?

FoxyMX
01-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your reply, i didn't mean to create this post as i had one already going, but i was that frustrated this afternoon trying to fix this problem, i got all mucked up.
Just for people's reference Tontoe's other thread on this topic is here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=67460). I have replied suggesting a reformat and reinstall.

Tontoe
01-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Have you tried the Pioneer in your spare pc and see if it recognises it?

Thanks for your reply, i have tried both of my cd's players in this pc, both get the same result.

Tontoe
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Just for people's reference Tontoe's other thread on this topic is here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=67460). I have replied suggesting a reformat and reinstall.

Sorry for posting twice, i know how it can really muck things up.
Thanks Foxy, i will reinstall.

Please disregard this thread, was unintentionaly started.