PDA

View Full Version : Win 95a

FrankS
01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Back in the dim and distant ages, but had a look at a relations computer with 95a, HDD 2.8 GB, 128MB Ram, found the defrag and scandisk had'nt been run for about 6 months and hard drive space was low, retrieved 52 MB from the recycle bin, installed crap cleaner and retrieved another 200 MB. Shut down all programmes that I could see running. It stated 0% fragmentation which was ignored and it took 30 mins to slowly wend it's way through a defrag. Run Scandisk,which stated about 64,000 clusters, it stopped about every 30,000 clusters and restarted to check folders, (obviously something running which I could'nt find), it got to 150,000 clusters and I stopped it. Computer appears to be running OK. Question is why 150,000?, next step presumably is Scandisk in Safe Mode and recheck Startup list. Windows Explorer listed a fairsize game file Hellbender which did'nt show in Add/Remove or elsewhere but trying to delete folder resulted in Access Denied. Any comments appreciated.

bob_doe_nz
01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
If you look around the net, you might be able to find Windows ME versions of Defrag and scandisk which theoretically should speed up the maintenance portion.

CYaBro
01-04-2006, 12:25 PM
What about restarting the machine to MS-DOS mode and run scandisk from there.

mikebartnz
01-04-2006, 01:29 PM
What about restarting the machine to MS-DOS mode and run scandisk from there.
I'm pretty sure in 95 dos mode you need to use chkdsk c:
Long time since i've been in 95.

Graham L
01-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Certainly, CHKDSK is the one for DOS. Use the "/F" option to fix automatically.

Again, in DOS, deltree /y hellbinder will get rid of that game. If it complains about access, attrib -r hellbinder\*.* /s wil remove the readonly attribute in all files in hellbinder, including in subdirectories

CYaBro
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Scandisk has been available since MS-DOS 6.2

FrankS
02-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for comments, have retrieved the DOS Manual from it's dusty hole and will run CHKDSK.

Re Access Denied have found following that may be of interest

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_spyware_tips778.html

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html