PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Removing the "Click to activate and use this control" message

Mike
01-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Have you been seeing the message "Click to activate and use this control" when browsing sites with activex or flash or other embedded scripts etc.? I've been seeing this message every day since I rebuilt my PC a couple of weeks ago and it was getting VERY annoying :) To use any of those embedded controls you had to first click to activate, then you could click on the links etc.

Anyway, apparently it came about as part of some patent dispute with Microsoft (not unusual I suppose), and there was a patch released that added this "feature" to stopped embedded content from running automatically. If you uninstall this patch, then you won't get that annoying "feature" (it isn't a security feature, and so isn't required... apparently they might make it a required patch sometime in the future though, to appease the patent issue).

So the patch is Hotfix KB912945, and you can uninstall it from Add/Remove programs (you have to tick the box that says "Show updates"), then restart your PC. It'll warn that some programs may not run if you remove the update - just click OK :)

If you're using the IE7 beta, however, the patch is included with that, so you can't remove it except by removing IE7.

Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Easy way to fix that. Dont use IE :rolleyes:

Use Opera or FF, with flashblock, then u wont see the flash trash.