PDA

View Full Version : PC More Pep

JaceKiwi
31-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I have thought about using a seperate partition for vertual memory but this would cause the heads to move further from the data, whereas my file is about a third to a half from the beginning of the partition that windows is installed on therefore faster to access. Also the pagefile.sys file has not been fragmented since the first time it was defragmented. This is the advantage of running a set size where the minimum and maximum values are the same. Also, I've been running a small file (200Mb) - Since I've been running the P4, I have only received pagefile too small error twice - like when I'm running heaps of applications and about three people are logged onto Windows.

Also I could not type this in Firefox - the message box is all grey (like the colour of this box's tool bar and border.

tweak'e
31-03-2006, 10:09 PM
what OS and how much ram does your pc have ?

JaceKiwi
01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Windows XP Pro with 1Gb RAM.

pctek
01-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I have thought about using a seperate partition for vertual memory but this would cause the heads to move further from the data,
You're serious? Since when does that matter these days with modern HDDs...

tweak'e
01-04-2006, 05:40 PM
the trouble is, XP is basicly a virtual memory system. if you have less virtual memory than ram it will actually run SLOWER.

partition for the virtual mem is not a bad idea exspecially those who run huge amounts of ram. this is due to the virtual memory needing to be larger than ram and a 2gig+ pagefile can arun slow if its on the slow part of the drive.

the easier way is to use one of the defrag programs that can move the pagefile to the front of the drive.