PDA

View Full Version : Building/Upgrading a Computer

matty3
31-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi I am planning to build a computer from scratch. I have an old Windows 95 computer and was wondering weither there were any parts from that that I could use?

I would like it to cost less than $800, but it has to be quite powerful. What parts do you think I need and can you reccomend a shop to buy some things from.

~Matt :-)

Greg
31-03-2006, 08:49 PM
The floppy drive, the CD drive, possibly the case.

memphis
31-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok first thing is you need to have more money then $800.00 for a really grunty machine.

You could re-use the monitor,keyboard,mouse,case,floppy,cd rom/cdrw/dvdrw.

Thats proberly about it without seeing it.

You would need a new motherboard,cpu,ram,graphics card.

Have a look for upgrade boxs at computer shops.

Check out www.pricespy.co.nz

Then look on pricespy for the shops in your city or close to you and check them out.
:2cents:

The_End_Of_Reality
31-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Well to be honest you definition of powerful could be very different to mine but...

You are NOT going to be able to get both, if you want power you have to pay for it, (as I found out).

AMD 3200+ S939
ATLEAST 512Mb RAM

Also depends on what you are going to be using it for IE Gaming or web browsing

Sweep
31-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi I am planning to build a computer from scratch. I have an old Windows 95 computer and was wondering weither there were any parts from that that I could use?

I would like it to cost less than $800, but it has to be quite powerful. What parts do you think I need and can you reccomend a shop to buy some things from.

Your budget in my opinion is unrealistic. A card for graphics can cost $800 or more. You can't get "powerful" for anything like $800.

You may be able to use the hard drive and modem out of your Win95 system.

What operating system are you about to use? WinXP costs money. Maybe use Linux as the O/S .
What hardware do you have?

I thought you may be in the US only to figure you are in ChCh

Metla
31-03-2006, 11:46 PM
1. You could use the CD Drive and floppy drive, But seeing as they are near ten years old I think its a poor idea, the case will certainly not be usable.

2. $800 will get you plenty of budget grunt...., especially if your stepping up from a decade old machine. Modern hardware is well above the required specs for most any tasks, Unless you intend to game or encode/edit video.

technicianxp
01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I agree with Metla. Most people tend to overestimate their (and sometimes others') performance requirements from a computer. Unless it's going to be used as a pure gaming or graphics workstation there isn't much point in spending heaps of money for no reason.

As for using parts from the Win 95 machine I'd probably recommend against it. Floppy is possible if your new case is going to be beige but apart from that it's too much trouble for what it's worth. You'd only save yourself around $40 if you took the old CD-ROM, floppy and modem.

pctek
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM

What do you want to use it for?
Powerful is really left as a definition for gaming PCs, in which case your budget should be near $3500.

Nothing is worth keeping, people have said the case, but the PSU is unlikely to be ATX or even useful for sata, PCI-E or even have enough watts.

You could keep the floppy drive - so long as its a good brand they seem to go for ages.

matty3
02-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm not going to do hardcore gaming on it, I just don't want it being slow. Probably my definition of powerful is different to yours, as I have had the Windows 95 machine for ages and it is slow. So really I'm just using it for everyday normal use, but it can't be slow.

At the moment I'm using the family pc which is the Windows XP one but now I have our old Windows 95 one so I want to either upgrade it (probably not really possible) or build a new one for myself.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I would STRONGLY say NO to upgrading the Win 95, not only are the parts not made any more ie you will need second hand and it will not make a large increase, you are best with a new machine.

As I said before, 3200+, 512MB RAM (maybe more) and a 6600GT?

matty3
02-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I would STRONGLY say NO to upgrading the Win 95, not only are the parts not made any more ie you will need second hand and it will not make a large increase, you are best with a new machine.

As I said before, 3200+, 512MB RAM (maybe more) and a 6600GT?

I'm not going to upgrade it (well I can't really), I'm just meaning that it was an option in the beginning.

Myth
02-04-2006, 11:21 PM

As I said before, 3200+, 512MB RAM (maybe more) and a 6600GT?Realistically specs this high wouldn't be needed for a reasonable budget machine.

Personally, if I had $800 to spend, I would be looking at something like a 128MB AGP graphics card, 2+Ghz Intel or 2600+ AMD, motherboard to fit, and 512MB RAM. Include a case (make sure its ATX and not AT as your current machine is likely to be). Look at getting a CD writer (bare minimum) as well.

These specs should suit you for the time being .. though I would seriously consider holding off for a bit longer, save a bit more, and get better specs.

matty3
02-04-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't really need a way out there graphics card, as i'm not really going to do that much gaming on it just an average one would work for me.

Myth
03-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Ok, in that case might I suggest an Geforce4 MX 440 (64MB, or slightly better, the geforce Ti series of cards from nvidia), cheap as anything (second hand of course) and go well.

I bought my MX440 second hand over 3 years ago and has done me well (and continues to do so)

matty3
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Thankyou for your help.

motorbyclist
17-04-2006, 04:31 PM
its interesting seeing how some people insist on spending thousands when if you settle for second best it costs a fraction of the price.

i myself did exactly what you plan to do, and did it about 2 months ago...

i've spent almost $900, about 70 of which went to couriers and added extras (like led fans lol). all parts were brand new, not from trademe. i strongly recommend www.pricespy.co.nz, and knowing what you are doing

i got a amd64 3000+
ecs motherboard - not great brand, dodgy sound drivers (easily fixed, but was/is only mobo with pcie for skt 754
1gig of ram
case
2 led fans
80gb smart sata hardrive
decent psu (forgot the specs, but runs it all fine)
geforce6600gt 128mb ("extreme" overclocked model from asus)

i recycled my old floppy drive, cd/rw drive (case has door things to hide the beige), wireless pci card, monitor, mouse, keyboard, headphones and parents winxp pro cd

in short its pretty good actually, and i would hav a 256mb card, but the couriers LOST it. seriously, opt to pick stuff up, its often cheaper (especially if u have a motorbike) and safer/more reliable.

but define "normal use", for web browsing your budget is definetly more than enough, while for gaming my computer was a dream machine 3 years ago, not so anymore (a friend built a similar machine for 3 grand 3 years ago!)

i could build one for you if you're interested (but where's the fun in that?)

rob_on_guitar
17-04-2006, 06:22 PM
If its like going to be used for browsing of writing type of activities, wouldnt you just be better off on one of those warehouse deals?

motorbyclist
17-04-2006, 06:35 PM
If its like going to be used for browsing of writing type of activities, wouldnt you just be better off on one of those warehouse deals?

again, Where's the fun in that?!:D

but you're right, i would never personally buy one, but that's because i want performance

i would not recommend HP though, stay well clear of them. you have to buy their modified parts in the event hardware failure/upgrade

rob_on_guitar
17-04-2006, 06:48 PM
again, Where's the fun in that?!:D

but you're right, i would never personally buy one, but that's because i want performance

i would not recommend HP though, stay well clear of them. you have to buy their modified parts in the event hardware failure/upgrade

Yea, the ol' HP does get expensive after awhile. Im finding that out the hard way! :o

matty3
23-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your advice :-)