PDA

View Full Version : ADSL speed problem?

Groovvy
31-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi,
I am using windows XP SP2, RAM - 624DDR, ADSL connection from worldnet 256kbps down/128kpbs up. Dynalink RTA220 router and connected at 320kbps down/160kbps up.

My problem is that last few days my download speed has reduced to maximum of 16kb/s and i used to be able to download at abot 32kb/s all the time.

I have two computers and i have tried downloading from both computers and from lots of different HTTP sites and i only get maximum of 16kb/s.

What have i tried till now for resolving this??

1. Have recently installed windows xp and also updated with all the drivers and windows updates including SP2.

2. Have tried speed test on different websites and they said download connection speed was 130kbps.

3. Have also run NOD32 antivirus software and it had some trojans before and it had deleted all of them and its works fine now.

4. Have run the HIJACK THIS exe file and checked on the website and it did not show any of illegal or weird programs running behind the screen.

5. I have installed TCP optimiser and checked to see if it would make ny difference, but it didnt :(

6. I have reset the router few times and made new connections and still da same problem.

7. I have run anti spyware software and have removed all spyware...I THIINK :)

8. When the router/computer is idle without any trasmission, i have tried "netstat" (it didnt show any programs using my bandwidth) and "ipconfig" (it didnt show any others computers connected to the router except mine).

Now i am completely clueless why my connection is still not running at 320kbps.

Any advice is helpful...

Thankssss...

Jen
31-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Have you gone over your datacap allowance?

Groovvy
01-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I dont have any data cap plans because im on unlimited 256kbps plan.

csinclair83
01-04-2006, 03:02 PM
i've never heard of a unlimited 256k plan...

i think you've just gone voer ur datacap and its now limited you until the start fo your new billing month

Groovvy
01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
I am with worldnet 256kpbs flat (unlimited) plan - im sure of that because i have been using it since 1 year :)

FYI : Orcon also provides an 256kbps flat plan for $50.

So the problem lies some where else?

csinclair83
01-04-2006, 03:14 PM
wow a unlimited plan, cool :D maybe i should be searching for plans better than i do lol...

i wouldnt have a clue where the problem is, have you rung them and see what happened?

i had the problem with xtra yesterday, but all it needed was a reboot of the modem, dunno why though...so maybe try that (unplug modem from power and phoneline for a minute or 2...then replug in (with PC off of course) and see what happens...

but with everything you've tried, maybe its the provider's end thats giving u this trouble?