PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD Writing software

mejobloggs
31-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I am in search of a nice program for writing CD's / DVD's. I don't like the WinXP one.

What do you guys use?

Are there any good free ones for windows?

Are there any that are well worth the money you pay for them?

I have Alcohol 120%, but that can't burn files, only images. I have heard rumours that Alcohol 120% is getting file writing support in the next version, but only small rumours, and the next version is not going to be any time soon. Probably Mr Murphy will strike though, and as soon as I buy a separate cd writing program, Alchol will suddenly support it :rolleyes:

dolby digital
31-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I think CDBurnerXP Pro is free. I use that as well as Nero. CDBurnerXP can't copy cd's but then who would be doing that :D

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2006, 11:07 AM
XP cant burn to DVD natively anyway.

Yup, either Nero / Nerovision for the DVD burning side (http://www.nero.com) or CDburnerXP Pro (http://www.cdburnerxp.se/)

CdburnerXP Pro is free.

Dont know what its like tho, never used it.

MMM
31-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Try Kodak Easy Share software. Nero has been a pain all week :annoyed: have been trying to get it to work properly on my brother's computer Win98SE and finally ditched it, having tried everything we found on the net to get it going, but no way would it work. There is an awful lot of people who have problems with it. Not many answers to solve them either.

Does anyone know where abouts on Win98 you can find the DMA option in "My Computer". Need to turn the DMA on for Nero to work. Couldn't find it where the forums had said it would be. Tried all the other answers I was given but still a "no go".

My brother then remembered about the Kodak Easyshare software that came with his daughters digital camera. Gave it a go and it worked brilliantly, no fuss, no bother at all. One folder had 200+ jpegs, avi's and movie files, wav files from a 6mp camera. As soon as the first disk was full, the program asked us to insert another disk and then continued merrily on its way - even into the 3rd disk. Not a hiccough anywhere.

Also I have downloaded DeepBurner [free version] and will be putting that on my other computer which is also Win 98. It also has a Pro version and also a portable version. Saw a lot of good reviews for it . Works on all windows versions. Author seems to be regularly improving it.

Good luck.

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2006, 01:44 PM
DMA (can't remember, havent used 98 for ages) in control panel / device manager. IDE ATA/Atapi controllers.

(secondary ide channel / advanced settings).

Either there or enable it in the BIOS.

If you cant enable it, and it stays in PIO mode, there maybe a prob somewhere, if you're using more than 1 burner.

Is the burner on the same ide channel/connection as a hard drive, in the case?

MMM
31-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Speedy
Instructions I was given were R/Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager,L/CLick on "+" sign beside IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
Then to D/CLick on either Primary or Secondary IDE Channels to check DMA modes, but there was no mention of DMA in the box at all.

Can't check about the hard drive but on Nero's report is the following:
E-IDE CD-ROM 52X/AKH [Target 0, D:] : Autoinsert on, DMA Off, Disconnect ?,SyncDataXfer ?
MSI CD-RW MS-8340S [Target 1, E:] : Autoinsert on, DMA Off, Disconnect ?,SyncDataXfer ?

WriteBufferSize : 47185920 [0[ Byte.

Physical Memory : 375MB [384084kb]
Free physical Memory:0MB [380KB]
Memory in use : 79%

Nero came with the new MSI CD-RW MS-8341S.

Main thing was that we found the simple CD-Burner in Kodak Easy Share really fast and handled the large sizes we were burning to disk really well. I'd not heard any good recommendations about it, so was very surprised.

braindead
31-03-2006, 06:08 PM
If you're still looking try Prassi Ones (http://shop.traxdata.fr/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?type=7&code_lg=lg_us)

An excellent easy-to-use app that can function with any existing or future CD/DVD recorder, and it's less than 2mb in size. I've thrown out my Nero bloatware.

gibler
31-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Nero is the one.