PDA

View Full Version : raw file system recovery on xp

Christopher
30-03-2006, 07:46 PM
hi, my friend who i told over and over to back up his system just had a system failure. his harddrive is a raw file system and i plugged it into my xp which has a ntfs file system. now everytime i try to go into the harddrive it prompts for me to format. is there anyway i can get all the data off this drive and onto my system to save the valuble data. thank you

Speedy Gonzales
30-03-2006, 08:20 PM
What was the hard drive formatted in??

FAT32 or NTFS?

I take it, there was actually something on this hard drive??

Some sites say, if its FAT32 and you have access to a 98 PC, create a bootdisk, and see if you can access this hard drive, from DOS.

Metla
30-03-2006, 09:17 PM
No such thing as a raw format, what it means is the File allocation table is munted, It sees it as a gaping hole, perhaps filled with data but due to having no stucture its un-readable .

If you format it then any data on there will be even harder to retrieve, But untill its formatted its unusable. If the drive contains data you need to access then do a google for "raw recovery", But you can expect most of the retrieved data to be munted depending on how fragmented the drive was before the formatting was munted.

Metla
30-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Ooops, Reading the thread title and your post it seems I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

To be truthfull, The last time I had to do it I was only succesful after aquiring a $1000 program to do the recovery.

Sweep
30-03-2006, 09:48 PM
hi, my friend who i told over and over to back up his system just had a system failure. his harddrive is a raw file system and i plugged it into my xp which has a ntfs file system. now everytime i try to go into the harddrive it prompts for me to format. is there anyway i can get all the data off this drive and onto my system to save the valuble data. thank you

What hard drives did you friend have? Was this one hard drive and if so did this have two or more partitions. Was more than one O/S installed?

What do you mean by system failure? Was that just windows failed to boot or what?

Christopher
31-03-2006, 08:20 PM
thanks all for the help, but he decided to take it in for a check up.