PDA

View Full Version : usb hubs - are the cheap 'trademe' ones any good

Morgenmuffel
30-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi all i am looking at the idea of getting a small usb hub, as my wifes computer only has usb ports at the back, and it is getting to be a pain reaching around the back to attach devicesespecially since it is all done by feel

I had a look at dse, and the cheapest on there was about $40, whereas i regularly see them being sold on trademe for about $15,
Is anyone out there using one of these? are they any good?, it's not that we want to plug lots of things in, it is just that it is a tight spot that is awkward to reach and plug things into (and it involves moving the clutter on the desk)

thanks

bonzo29
30-03-2006, 11:26 AM
OK 40 dollars is 40 dollars but is it worth saving 20 dollars or so when you can go back to DSE and change it if it dosn't work?

Scouse
30-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Nigel. If you are only using this occasionally, say for a camera download or a jump-drive, why not just get a single extension cable. We have this setup on five machines, with the female end of the cable secured wth a small block of wood under the front of the desk. If you later do get a hub, you can plug it in to that too.

Jimmy D
30-03-2006, 01:39 PM
i agree with Scouse a usb extention cable would be a lot cheaper
you can get 2m USB Extension Cables for $3+

Greven
30-03-2006, 01:48 PM
It is actually cheaper to buy a 2m extension cable than it is to buy a shorter one

Morgenmuffel
30-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi Nigel. If you are only using this occasionally, say for a camera download or a jump-drive, why not just get a single extension cable. We have this setup on five machines, with the female end of the cable secured wth a small block of wood under the front of the desk. If you later do get a hub, you can plug it in to that too.
Hi scouse

I was actually doing that for a while, but the cable end got crushed by some books when nothing was plugged in to it,
- might actually try it again and this time fiit to the front of the case, out of the range of books,

cheers all