PDA

View Full Version : Broadband and moving house

Mike
30-03-2006, 10:55 AM
What's the story with moving house when you've got broadband? Do you have to pay another connection fee, or can you make use of the free-connections etc. that they offer to new customers?

Mike.

Greg
30-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I moved late last year and to get the benefit of the free connection I changed ISP's. At the time I assumed I'd be charged it if I stayed with my then current ISP, but I could have made the wrong assumption - I didn't enquire.

kingdragonfly
30-03-2006, 11:41 AM
It's not like Sky, where you just carry your existing box and hook-up to the existing antenna, if it's already installed.

Usually a DSL installer has to come in. Not sure how it would work if a place phone line was "DSL ready."

Tukapa
30-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I've just done it. But I disconnected at the old house and then reconnected at the new house with a free connection/modem package all over again. If you want to transfer they will sting you $99. But disconnect and then reconnect at another address and they will do it free and give you another modem as well.

That is with Xtra anyway. So much for looking after existing customers!!!

chiefnz
30-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes you have to pay a $99.95 connection fee. I recently moved house as well and had to fork out the $$$ for the connection. I couldn't use the new customer feature because well I'm not a new customer. So I couldn't get out of it.

It's a bloody rip-off... everytime I move... I have to fork out the $$$ unless of course I OWN my own house... which isn't exactly a privelege many of us have. Good one Telecom... you're getting so many stars for all the "great services" you offer your customers NOT

Bunch of plonkers...

cheers
chiefnz

Mike
30-03-2006, 04:55 PM
What do you think of my chances if I give my ISP a call and ask them what they can do for me, and if they say I have to pay the $99 fee I'll remind them that I could just disconnect and join up with another ISP - I have my own domain, so it won't affect my email address at all, it'll just come down to who I connect through...

Mike.

Tukapa
30-03-2006, 09:45 PM
They won't give two hoots. I have tried it with Xtra and Orcon in the past and they both said "see ya".

What I did was cancel my account with Xtra. Move to the new house and order a new connection (free connection and another modem). Set it up using your same account details as before. Rang support and pleaded ignorant and they gave me back my e-mail address and left me with the same account name and password as before.

Although I have to say it would be a lot easier for all involved (and better customer service) if they just transferred your account to the new place for no charge.

I really can't understand what they gain by doing it the way they are.

Again :2cents:

Of course the phone account at the new place is in a different name. Don't know if you can work around this.

rob_on_guitar
30-03-2006, 11:53 PM
When i moved the gave me a series of customer numbers which I had to use once I moved. But as soon as i moved they wanted to charge either for new installation or the reconnection fee. So I just ask them to hold my existing credit just incase I feel like getting ripped off again.

Either way it seems like a lose lose situation. :illogical

pctek
31-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Probably depends who your ISP is. I'm with Xtra and when I rang to have the old ph number disconnected and the new one set up they asked if I wanted my broadband moved too. And I wasn't charged anything, the only thing was it came on a day after the phone, I guess cause they had to send someone to the new exchange and hook me up.
Brilliant!

Greg
31-03-2006, 11:06 AM
What do you think of my chances if I give my ISP a call and ask them what they can do for me, and if they say I have to pay the $99 fee I'll remind them that I could just disconnect and join up with another ISP - I have my own domain, so it won't affect my email address at all, it'll just come down to who I connect through...

Mike.That's the ideal way to do it. And of course if they don't oblige, then just do what I did and change ISP's.

teszeract
31-03-2006, 12:00 PM
DAMN!! I'm moving in two weeks. I'm with Orcon with 5 months in a balance of a 12 month contract. New house just being built too.

hammer
31-03-2006, 07:30 PM
that really sucks.. i have had broadband for 2 years... shifted twice once to a new line and not had to pay the $99.00 connectin fee yet..