PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Not Working

Tracer-Bullet
30-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I've been having a problem with my graphics card for quite a while now which started about three weeks after I first installed it when I tried downloading and installing the latest drivers.
The problem is it is now not recognised by my pc, but yet i've taken it back to the suppliers and it works fine when plugged into a test bed. Exactly what happens is I install the graphics card as explained in the manual, I install the drivers and then it restarts the pc. When the pc restarts, after about 1 minute it turns off the monitor before eventually rebotting itself. If I restart using last successful config I can get back into my pc, but the graphics power is none existent; you can see each line build as you scroll the screen.
The suppliers thought it might not be getting enough power so I bought a 575 WATT power supply and gave the graphics card its own power cable. This didn't work. I'm now wondering if it may be something to do with my motherboard but I don't want to go buy another one if it still doesn't work afterwords. My system specs are listed below:

Inno 3D Ge-Force 6600 GT AGP
Motherboard : ASUS A7N8X-E
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
1.5GB Ram
Win XP Pro 2002 SP2

Please :help:

Many Thanks David.

JJJJJ
30-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Would suggest you try anothed video card. If that doesn't work either, buy a new motherboard.

PENTIUM
30-03-2006, 09:38 AM
You could try the original drivers.
I have occasional problems with downloaded updates for this family of cards.

Tracer-Bullet
01-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Installing the original drivers didn't work, it just did the same as when I installed the new drivers which was to shut the monitor off and reboot the PC which brings you up to the safe mode options etc. I eventually got windows working again but still no operational graphics card. Any more idea's on what I should excluding buying another motherboard or graphics card?

Jen
01-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Was your new graphic card a replacement for an old one? Try running this utility - Driver Cleaner - Free version (http://www.drivercleaner.net/) - and completely remove the old drivers. Reboot the computer so that it only uses the default VGA window drivers when it loads (will look ugly) and then install your nVidia driver again and reboot. See if this helps.

pctek
01-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I've been having a problem with my graphics card for quite a while now which started about three weeks after I first installed it when I tried downloading and installing the latest drivers.
The problem is it is now not recognised by my pc, but yet i've taken it back to the suppliers and it works fine when plugged into a test bed.
You have said - the problem occurred after downloading new drivers.
Make sure you are using the right one - you did get it from Nvidias website didn't you? For exactly the O/S you are using?

I would also make the suppliers install the latest Nvidia drivers, sometimes just whacking it in means they are booting up into plain old VGA mode which isn't a proper test of it.

Tracer-Bullet
02-04-2006, 06:17 AM
I followed the Driver Cleaner instructions word for word but it didn't sort the problem out. And I did download the updates from the Nvidia website. So any more suggestions?

JJJJJ
02-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Have you checkd in "Device Manager" ?
Right click My Computer\properties\ Click on Hardware Tab\click on Device manager. Then click on display adapters.
What does it say there?

Tracer-Bullet
02-04-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for but under other devices it says Video Controller (VGA Compatible) I thats not it, what do I need to look for?

maverickoc
02-04-2006, 09:12 AM
That SHould have your Graphics card name in it.

Try this:

Sometimes when you download drivers they come in either a .exe format with one or two files, or .inf, .sys format, that has lots of files. An INF file points the driver instalation to all those other files so Windows knows where to fetch them from.

What type is it when you download?

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 09:20 AM
The Nvidia drivers are usually exe files.

Just double click, let it install / reboot.

maverickoc
02-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Speedy, have you been to Inno's website? Look at the way the Driver system works.

IT's one set download for all the Cards

Surely there's going to be a glitch in their drivers sooner or later.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Speedy, have you been to Inno's website? Look at the way the Driver system works.

IT's one set download for all the Cards

Surely there's going to be a glitch in their drivers sooner or later.

Who's site? :lol:

Wouldnt know Inno if I met him. The other PC here is using the latest version of the Nvidia drivers, no probs at all (84.21).

No glitches / crashes from the drivers, from the Nvidia site, whatsoever.

maverickoc
02-04-2006, 09:32 AM
THe manufacturer of the card:

http://www.inno3d.com/support/download_inno3d.html

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Ah, I gotcha now. Doesn't look too bad.

Yup, I would download them from the Nvidia site.

No matter what the brand of videocard is. If it's Nvidia based.

JJJJJ
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for but under other devices it says Video Controller (VGA Compatible) I thats not it, what do I need to look for?
Do you have an entry in "Device Manager" Called Display Adapater???

If you don't it means your card is NOT installed.

Check that your card is pushed in properly in your AGP slot. Check if it has a secondary power connection. If it does , does it have the correct power cable plugged into it.
Check in window's explorer (or my computer) for your graphics file. It should be called INNO or perhaps NVIDIA. Open this file and look for an entry called install or setup or simliar. Double click on it. This should install your drivers.
Reboot your computer.
Check in Device manager and see if Display Adapter is there.

pheonix
02-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Also a thought, maybe you should also update your motherboard drivers as well?
They also control the interface between the CPU and AGP ports.
You can get them from Nvidia nforce platform drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

Tracer-Bullet
06-04-2006, 07:17 AM
I downloaded the Driver in exe format, but I'm now getting another problem. After I download the driver and install it when I restart my machine its dumping memory. What's that all about? But yes I download the file in exe format. Hope that helps. :badpc:

maverickoc
06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
start up in safe mode, then roll-back the driver and re-install. See what happens