PDA

View Full Version : router/hub disconnects DSL connection

kanvused
30-03-2006, 03:49 AM
At the small business I work for, a DSL connection is provided via a
2wire dsl router and Linksys hub. This network works just fine, except
when a colleague tried to add another computer at his workspace. He
extended his port with a router and both his computers were working
fine..for awhile. Soon, the entire office's internet connection became patchy and then dropped entirely. Looking at the 2wire router, one can see it power on and then immediately power off again. this power cycling continues.
When he replaced the router with a hub, the network seemed to remain
stable for a longer time, but it eventually caused the network to power
cycle repeatedly. Any idea what is going on? and how the network can be expanded at my colleague's workstation port?

TiJay
30-03-2006, 03:58 AM
I haven't heard of that happening before...it SOUNDS like the router is trying to work too hard...do you have the router feeding a hub/switch or is it going to a server computer? What kind of topology is your network set up with? I don't know why but it sounds like the router is using more power than it's made to...

SurferJoe46
30-03-2006, 05:29 AM
My Linksys power supply pooped out once...and Linksys will replace the whole unit for free (yup! they did!)...even if you don't have the receipt for it (yup! I couldn't find mine!)...but they'll do it only once!

The symptoms I had are exactly like the ones you have...I hope my anecdotal observation is the same problem you have...but it's not right that it powers down and blinks..