PDA

View Full Version : stop important updates when shutting down

Jimmy D
29-03-2006, 11:29 PM
When i go start shutdown (in winxp) when it comes up with the 'standby' 'turnoff' and 'restart' buttons, on the turn off button it has a pic of the windows shield and says 'click turn off to install important updates and turn off your computer *click here to turn off without installing updates*' i shutdown and it installs the updates, when i next boot it cant load explorer because it cant find entry file or something like that (can't quite remember exactly). is this a corrupt important update? i dont even know where it came from, i was installing UT2004 with directx 9.0b and my computer crashed half way thru the installation, could it be the directx? i did system restore to fix the problem but i dont want it to happen again so does anyone know how to get rid of the important update notification in my shutdown menu??

Jimmy D
30-03-2006, 03:17 PM
ok... i think i'll try installing directx9b and going to the microsoft website and installing updates from there...

kingdragonfly
30-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I've never seen this message, but I understand it's possibly legit. From another forum

"In Windows XP if you have Automatic Updates set to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them", then the updates will automatically download any time you are online after they are made available by Microsoft. Windows XP will normally notify you when the updates have been downloaded and are ready to be install."

gcarmich
30-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Doing a full windows update should fix it.

Jimmy D
30-03-2006, 04:07 PM
hmmm, it's the first time i've seen it two. i'll post a screenshot of it when i get home...

SolMiester
30-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I have had the message before and it is legit.

I would install directx9c NOT 9xb....

If you did system restore, the files will download again. I believe it was just timing with UT2004 install crash and the install updates message.

Once downloaded, you will be presented with the message again.

as you were...... :2cents:

Mada
30-03-2006, 04:14 PM
If you had Service Pack 2 installed, it should have already come with DirectX 9.0c. Of course, if DirectX 9.0b actually did a full install...how long did it take for DX to install, Jimmy D?

Jimmy D
30-03-2006, 04:18 PM
ta, will try that. might as well download the latest directx at work while i have broadband :D

Jimmy D
30-03-2006, 04:23 PM
really? yeah i have sp2, i didnt know it came with directx9.0c. ummm UT came with 9.0b. i dont know if it even did a full install because i was working on something else over top of it when it crashed..

Speedy Gonzales
30-03-2006, 04:30 PM
To see what version of directx is installed, go to start/run. Type dxdiag.

If it says 9.0c beside directx version, its the latest version.