PDA

View Full Version : keyboard ok at bios, gone by windows

spud
29-03-2006, 09:32 PM
i guess i should be grateful that i have the KB on startup. i can also enable it after i get into windows (XP pro). odd thing is tho, it's the same xp, the same KB (i've tried another kb...same) and when i go into system/keyboard>>it's enabled. and doing just fine according to the million ways you can dabble with anything in xp. so i disable it, then enable it...voila.

so, i shouldn't complain much. i just hope i remember to disconnect the kb before i huck it out the window (or at the windows)

any ideas? i'll send a cigar to the ppl that have the "correct" idea.

i'm new here, so i'll say hi too (just cuz my kb is workin' and i'm taking advantage)

Kame
30-03-2006, 01:47 AM
What type of keyboard and interface (ps/2 or usb?)

Some things that are safe to do, is delete/remove/uninstall the keyboard from device manager, restart and let it reload again, then test if it's working, then restart and test again to see if it works.

Go to the vendor website of your keyboard and download any drivers they have and try those on it.

That's about all I can think of.

Cheers,

KK

TiJay
30-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Apparently the generic drivers work (or it wouldn't work in BIOS) Try starting windows in safe mode, and like the post before - uninstall-reinstall the latest drivers

SurferJoe46
30-03-2006, 08:02 AM
First....What kinda cigar are you offering?

pctek
30-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Yep. Driver problem. Its not an MS kB is it?

Graham L
30-03-2006, 03:50 PM
The BIOS setting for "legacy support for human interface devices" sometimes gives trouble if it's set wrongly. It's intended to make USB keyboards and mice work properly.

spud
31-03-2006, 10:19 PM
ok kame>>>have a cigar!

sheesh, i can't believe i didn't do that a long time ago. i kept on diableing/enableing like a lemming.

i wonder if you could shorten the work day by buying only 6 paks of beer. and sorry joe, the cigars are only for clever keyboard/fixer/techies. besides, they'll prob clash with the pills and the brew.

thanx all who responded to a very dumb question.

spud

spud
02-04-2006, 07:43 PM
ok, i want my cigar back. uninstall worked fine....once. i'm back to square 1. tried the human inteface thingadooley....no cigar. when kame emails the cigar back, or what's left of it, my offer is still open

this one is really getting my goat. tho i am getting to level 10 using my computer with only basil (my mouse).
i looked around for a driver from the maker as well as third party (saw you there Joe), but no cigar

the kb is a ps2 jiggy and is made by Mitsumi kpq-e99zc-13 (i think it's the 13 screwing things up)

;( spud

SurferJoe46
02-04-2006, 07:58 PM
ok, i want my cigar back. uninstall worked fine....once. i'm back to square 1. tried the human inteface thingadooley....no cigar. when kame emails the cigar back, or what's left of it, my offer is still open

this one is really getting my goat. tho i am getting to level 10 using my computer with only basil (my mouse).
i looked around for a driver from the maker as well as third party (saw you there Joe), but no cigar

the kb is a ps2 jiggy and is made by Mitsumi kpq-e99zc-13 (i think it's the 13 screwing things up)

;( spud

This part needs some more info: "the kb is a ps2 jiggy and is made by Mitsumi kpq-e99zc-13 (i think it's the 13 screwing things up)"....is this NZ for it has an adapter from regular usb to convert it to the regular mouse port with a "thingy" in between??

Kame
03-04-2006, 05:13 AM
spud,

If uninstalling worked fine once, I didn't mention what problems you may run into, and that is Windows Update.

In some cases, the driver that is currently installed is perfectly fine, then all of a sudden Windows Updates it (probably without you knowing) to a driver that just does not work and this is when problems start. If you are certain that it's not a Windows Update, then I guess I shouldn't suggest that you set Windows Update to ignore that driver update.

When you remove it and let it reload, what driver has it got installed and version. Then when it plays up, check to see if anything has changed, also might pay to make notes of what files it uses for the driver, just incase any of these change.

You might even need to do a BIOS update.

Cheers,

KK

pctek
03-04-2006, 08:26 AM

Unless its a multimedia KB and you want to use the extra stuff on it, you don't even need a specific driver.

spud
05-04-2006, 06:05 PM
it's not the update, i've got that turned off. and the kb is a simple 102 that plugs into the regular kb port (ps2). the real quirk here is that it has been my kb for 4 yrs, it works with generic windows driver and before it hooped up...it was fine (isn't that always the case). nothing i can think of has changed.

actually, what's quirkier is that windows has it enabled. says there's no problems. when i reenable it (after diabling it)...it's the same as it was except one thing. it works! same as uninstalling>reboot. it works! only once. next time i boot up...it's enabled, not working.

all the relevant software and hardware works just fine....as well as all the OK reporting windows does. no conflicts, device working properly etc. just the one thing is missing...it's broke.

i think mebbe there's something wrong with windows ability to "actually" enable it during the start sequence. short of repairing or reinstalling windows...i can't see what to muck with or even where to muck. anyone have any ideas as to whereabouts i might find the glitch?

all that being said, i'm totally used to the disable/enable jig i've been using...but it would be nice to get this bug outta my head.

oh, and something else...my audio is dandy. the headphones and speakers and mic work great. but i get no system sounds out of the speakers. headphones yes, speakers no.

just thought i'd add the bug to the other bug.

buggy spud

Kame
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
OK, how about trying any different keyboard driver on it, pick anyone out of the list to install then once installed (test it) and if no go install the generic 105 keys keyboard (I think that's the one, 102 doesn't sound right to me). Other than that, I seem to be out of ideas, though I did experience similar with a mouse, but it required either installing it's own drivers or using the generic ones, I can't remember, was too long ago.

Also be good if the drivers are overwritten, replaced or somehow cleaned up so that it doesn't use ones that could be possibly corrupt.

Cheers,

KK

SurferJoe46
06-04-2006, 06:31 AM
The default driver will be for a 101/102 generic type kb

spud
26-04-2006, 05:47 PM
ok graham, you were the closest. it's not a havana but it costs over a buck. actually thanx to all of yas in here. i'm surprised anyone even answered let alone stuck with me.

so here's the thing. i neglected to change every bios setting (of which this puppy has lots of) and it turned out to be that usb port 64/60 emulation had to be disabled. i'll have to do some research as to what 64/60 emulation is, but apparently i need it like a hole in the head.

hopefully some other dolt will come along and read this and fix it in an hour. i'm from canada, and i just noticed that this forum is NZ based. i hope i didn't screw yous up much. i know i challenged joe there with my bafflejabberness. lol

thanx guys. oh btw kame, does your name have anything to do with the "project"?

cheers (eh) spud