PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing new DVD/CD writer

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 01:04 AM
I am putting a new PC together and i brought a new Pioneer dvd burner, and i am having troubles installing it.
Just before installing the burner, i fitted a Zalmans cooler on and also put a new sata hardrive in as well.
I had a bit of trouble getting the pc to start again, wouldn't even post for a while, but eventually it did, and in the BIOS, the hardrive is picked up but not the burner.
As i used that thin red cable to connect the hardrive to the motherboard, but with the burner i used the normal grey flat cable.
It seems to be connected right as far as i know, one end in the second ide slot and the other to the dvd, the power is on, i can open and close the door but thats it.
Going through BIOS it says " the Secondary slave drive -ATAPI incompatable, the jumper on the back of the dvd is set to one, [as factory default ] so i can't work out what i am doing wrong, surely Pioneer wouldn't make incompatable devices.
as always any help would be very much appreciated.

Big John
29-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Have you tried setting the DVD as Master? There should be a setting on the back with details on the drive which changes to make. It sounds like it is set for a slave drive and you should have a master if you have a slave.

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Yes John, it was set to master as factory default, no 2 is slave, and so on, i have moved it around but nothing happens.

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 03:52 AM
I took that dvd burner out and put another one in, and same result, and i know that one works for sure.
When i start the pc up, i get this BIOS page at the start:

AMIBIOS
ASUS P4 speed 3.00mhz
press DEL to run setup
F8 for BBS popup
DDR frequency 400mhz
Checking NVRAM
1024 MB OK

Auto-detecting 3rd master IDE harddisk
3rd master : WDC WD800JD.........
ULTRA DMA mode5, smart capable and status ok.
Auto-detecting USB mass storage devices
00 vsb mass storage devices found & confirmed
secondary slave drive -ATAPI incompatable
press f1 to resume.

does this make any sense to anyone?

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 11:36 AM
bumping up

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Can anyone see why a pioneer burner would be incompatable when i would think that thousands of them would be made for normal windows based systems, or has anyonr else had the same trouble, could it be a setting in the BIOS ?
The jack on the back of the burner is on Master, everything is connected up the same as any other cd/dvd i have installed in my pc's.

gcarmich
29-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Try a different IDE cable.

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Try a different IDE cable.

Thanks Graham, i didn't even think of that.

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I tried 2 other ide cables but still nothing , got me stuffed this one. :help:

tweak'e
29-03-2006, 01:34 PM
have you tried setting it as master? tried it on primary IDE?

i've got a sony drive here that ONLY works on seconday channel for some werid reason. also check which ide plug on the ide cable you are useing. if set to master use the end one, if slave try the 2nd one.

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 01:50 PM
No i haven't tried that, i'll give it a go, thanks for your help.

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Tried everything mentioned, but still nothing, so i took my older dvd burner out of my spare pc and fitted it into my new case, this one did work before, but same result as the pioneer, does not show up in bios either, could there be a setting in BIOS, that is not right and could be causing this ?

FoxyMX
29-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I have a Pioneer DVD writer, a SATA hard drive plus two ATA hard drives in this machine and the only reasons I can think of why your setup is not working are:

You have the wrong sort of cable
The cable is faulty
You have plugged the cable in the wrong place
You have plugged the cable in the wrong way
You have not plugged the cable in firmly enough
Your BIOS needs to be set differently
Your motherboard is faulty

I can't remember exactly how mine is set up but I think I have the two ATA drives on the master cable and the DVD writer on the secondary cable by itself, set to master. BIOS is set to auto-detect.

SolMiester
29-03-2006, 03:22 PM
My monies with your post Foxy!!

New PATA drives use 80 pin IDE cables, not older grey 64 pin, however if this is the cable that cames with your dvd drive, then could be your board BIOS setup. Are you sure you have pin 1 matching to pin 1 on the m/b.

It looks to me as if the BIOS is trying to connect the drive to the 2nd IDE Slave NOT master. Are you using the end of the cable, not the middle plug?

Graham L
29-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Autodetect doesn't always correctly detect CD/DVD drives. Try doing a manual setting, so you tell it. ;) As well as "Autodetect", "Not Installed" (and all the different types) there will be one for CD/DVD, ATAPI, or something like that.

Benjie
29-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Just wondering if you have tried the "cable select" option for your jumper settings, on the IDE cable? :)

Tontoe
29-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Tried "cable select" and the pc would not start up at all, i have tried to manualy to change the settingss in BIOS but it does not reconize the burner at all.
Checked the manual for how many pin conectors, it says 40 pin 1/0 connector, use 80 pin for max writing speed, by the way the ide cable did not come with the dvd, i asked for one, because it didn't have one with this sale. [ $63 ] is probably why.
As far as putting the ends in the wrong way, how can you do that ? they will only go in one way, as far as i know, you would have to break the connection wouldn't you ?
I feel that its something to do with the BIOS setting, becuase i tried another dvd in, and got the same result, unless all 3 cables are stuffed, like i am now :)
Anyway thanks a million, gonna give it and myself a rest now. thanks very much everyone., i will give a shot later on.

Tontoe
31-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Still in trouble,
I have had a look in device manager, looking at the IDE section, this what i get :
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

intel[r]82801 EB ultra storage controllers
this repaeated under it again,

Primary IDE channel
again repeated under this

Secondary IDE channel
repeated again under this

Anyone know what i should do now, i sincely appreciate any help

Tontoe
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I have tried everything possible to get this dvd/ writer to install, i come accross some info on the web, that if you got into the registry and deleted a couple of files the cdrom would come back on again, i tried this but the 2 files were not there, so something has truly stuffed up.

So if its possible could i use a floppy disc to format the drive, then hopefully be able to use my cdrom to reinstall windows again ?? could i do this or would it work ? i have tried to fix this for ages now but got nothing for all its worth. :badpc:
thanks

FoxyMX
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Since you said that this was a new computer/install I would be inclined to try for a completely fresh install of Windows again. By that I mean format and start again.

If this doesn't work then some part of your hardware will be the culprit.

Tontoe
02-04-2006, 02:09 AM
You wouldn't believe it, i made a startup disc, put it in, rebooted and it now will not take any commands, typed fdisk, format c/s, all it keeps on doing is " bad command ", somethings wrong, don't know how i am going to get out of this one.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 08:51 AM
You dont use a floppy if u use XP.

You put the XP cd in, change the bootdisk to cd, in the BIOS and save the settings.

And install XP from the cd. If you're going to do a clean install.

Tontoe
02-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks Speedie, but its impossible to get the cd shown in BIOS, device manager, or even in " my computor" section, i have tried every way possible at least a dozen times each, it just totaly refuses to reconize it.
Weird as it is, this a new build and i had just installed xp on this new SATA drive, then only a day later i brought a new writer, and tried to instal it, NO WAY would it reconize it, even tried the writer i used to load XP , no way none, would it except that either.

I searched the net to see if anyone else had the same problem after installing XP, i did find a couple and they had fixed it by going into the registry and deleting " upper filter value & lower filter value ", their cdrom come back in " my computor " and everything went well.
In desperation i tried the same but didn't find that files they said, so i am guessing that my registry files are corrupted and this is propbably why nothing else works.
I had no problems making up the startup disc but using it to format the drive was hopless as well, the only drive this machine will boot off is the hardrive
I only wish i had never taking out the older writer, because up until then it all was going great,

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
The only other thing it might be is:

1. Your IDE cables are around the wrong way (the red / blue stripe goes to pin 1 on the mobo).

If you have an IDE cable connector which is blue at one end, use it.

This goes on the mobo end.

Or

2. If there's an ATX 4 pin connection on the mobo, is power going to it??

From the power supply?

The fix you're after is here (http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip) which is from here (http://www.dougknox.com/)

Altho, I doubt this will fix it, if the BIOS doesnt detect it, and the cd/dvd doesnt appear on the post screen.

I take it, you have connected power to the dvd burner as well?