PDA

View Full Version : Analog-to-Digital capture card woes

Mada
28-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I have a Leadtek Winfast VC100XP video capture card in conjunction with an old (think 1995) Video8 Sony camcorder, and have noticed a considerable degredation in quality after converting my old tapes to digital. Is this a problem with the capture card itself (it did, after all only cost around $50) or not, and if so, what analog capture devices will do the job with little or no quality loss?
Plus, is VIVO an option or is it no good?

ooh yeh
29-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi Mada
I use a Belkin USB capture device to download my Sony analog videos to the computer then write them as Video CD's to Cd's to try and preserve our old home movies.
The quality is preserved in the manufacturing process when writing them as VCD's

Is there any options in your movie writing software to alter the frame rate or compression before you write to Cd.?.
Experiment with this to get the best quality.
I believe that the higher compression the less the quality is.

The other option is in the transfer from the camera to the computer.
Is there options there to alter the compression rate?

Hope this helps

kingdragonfly
29-03-2006, 11:52 AM
$50 ain't much for a video capture card.

Software based video encoding is flexible, such as using different codec, but generally lower quality.

Hardware based video encoding is inflexible, typically only one codec such as MPEG II, but generally higher quality. Of course, after the capture you can re-encode it, at a reduced quality.

I found on a moderately powerful PC I could capture up to 3Mb/sec MPEGII. On the same PC, with a hardware-based MPEG encoder, I could get 12Mb/sec.

I've had good luck with the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150, about $180.

Mada
30-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks, I'll check that. How about the video in feature with some video cards?

Speedy Gonzales
30-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I'll check that. How about the video in feature with some video cards?

If the card comes with a program to capture the video coming in, its fine.

The only card I've used, using video in, is a leadtek deluxe tuner. (using a VCR).

The program that comes with it / that you can download records the video / sound. All you have to remember, is to plug audio out into line in of the soundcard. To get the sound.

And saves it as an Mpeg2 file.

Then all I did was burn it to dvd using Nerovision.