PDA

View Full Version : Computer falling apart...

Awptics
28-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Over the last 3 weeks my comp has been getting slower and slower. Its got to the point where things just wont work right. all my internet browsers can't buffer Video media (ie Google vide, Ebaums world), Cant load flash stuff( sometimes), and most pictures come up as fragmented bits re aranged with colourful blocks everywhere. Any and all programs/ files I download are corupt..... I cant find the problem. Pest patrol wont work and several other Anti virus/spyware/addware programs wornt work too so im guessing there is a virus mixed in there.... Any solutions other than re formatting the HD's?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Read the info in my signature. Re: Hijackthis.

Awptics
28-03-2006, 07:18 PM
my comp cant execute the program....

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Boot into safe mode. And run it.

Can you unzip the hijackthis file??

Awptics
28-03-2006, 09:14 PM
ehhhh.... im a lil comp stupid.... Safe mode?

bob_doe_nz
28-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Reboot your computer.

Look for when it says 'Press F8 to troubleshoot this computer'
Do it.

Look for an option called 'safe mode' NOT 'safe mode with command prompt' or 'with networking'

Awptics
29-03-2006, 03:41 PM
well i folowed your instructions.... it still wont let me open the file because its corupt. ontop of that internet dosent work in safe mode. so i cant re download the file. i tried to Download the file about 7 times but its corupt every time.

Greg
29-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I guess it's an imminent hardware failure - probably your motherboard.

Is the computer yours from brand new?

A whole lot more information about its history and what op/sys would be helpful.

Graham L
29-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I would suspect a major virus infestation, except that there is a vague suggestion that the poster does have antivirus software installed. Youi can buy a Knoppix live CD for $5 at Dick Smith Electronics. If that will boot and run, (even if you don't know how to use it ;) ) that will prove that the CD drive, the motherboard, video, and memory work. (You can just power down to stop it ... it doesn't use the hard disk at all). (There might be a memory tester included on and runnable from that CD, too).

It does look as if you are into a real clean up if the hardware is OK, with reformatting high on the priority list. ;) If you can't download any tools ...