PDA

View Full Version : Yet another XP problem.. dialup.

hamstar
28-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi guys,

My friend uses XP, and when she connects to the net it connects fine.

However, after disconnecting, the little computers stay in the system tray, but disconnects the phone line.

However windows still thinks it is on the internet.

It still shows the connection status as "Connected" and you cannot reconnect to the internet because of this.

So the only way to get back on the internet is to restart the computer. Which is very inconvenient.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Cheers,
hamstar

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Might be a dialler, if another connection appears on the taskbar. After you've disconnected.

Unless its something like a firewire connection, or LAN icon.

Look in my network places / view network connections. Does it show the ISP dialup as being connected here?

hamstar
30-03-2006, 01:53 PM
yeah it does...

and I dont think its a dialer.. the dialup icon just gets stuck on connected, even when not connected.

Graham L
30-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Does it actually release ("hang up") the phone line? Do you get dial tone from picking up a phone?

I doubt if there's anything like a "dialler" doing naughty things. You could turn on the modem speaker if you're worried. You would hear it happening.

Can't you disconnect the "Connection" from its status window? I don't think that rebooting should be needed. Even so, it shouldn't happen.

Could it be some non-standard setting of which modem status bits are looked at? If CD and DSR (DTR?) are ignored, the changes when the modem hangs up won't be noticed by the software. I don't know where "Handshaking" is set ... it's a long time since I've looked.

hamstar
30-03-2006, 02:31 PM
yes it releases the phone line. I doubt it is a dialer as well...

The connected icon stays there, it also says status connected in network connections, further attempts at right click>disconnect do nothing.

Haven't entered any extra init settings, though I will check if something else has, it didnt do this when I reformatted the pig.

Because windows thinks the connection is active, you can't reconnect so you have to restart for a (false) forced disconnection.

Really... [expletive] annoying...

Safari
30-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Try deleting the dialup connection and setting up a new one.
Sound like a corrupted dialup connection not resetting itself.

hamstar
30-03-2006, 11:44 PM
ahh, why didnt i think of that...

SurferJoe46
31-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Graham: I might have said something about this b4---- but I had the same problem setting up a dial-up with 2000Pro when the sound card and the modem somehow got to share the same interrupt or possibly the same IRQ. Since the sound card is not supposed to shut off while the puter is running, the modem stayed hot too.....just a thought.