PDA

View Full Version : SLAVE DRIVE NOT LETTING ME BOOT

danielle_S
28-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I will try to be as brief as possible.

I recently installed a spare hard drive for extra storage space as we were running out fast, this was about a month ago. Everything was working fine and today for some reason the drive disappeared. I have tried rebooting and nothing, it simply does not show up, I have gone to Disk Manager to try to re-assign it a new drive letter and it is simply not there. I tried removing it and putting it back in and now when I do and it is attached it is telling me there is no operating system installed, when just 10 minutes earlier the computer still booted fine. Now it will not let me boot while to slave drive is installed.

Please Help!!! There are some critical files on this drive and at bear minimum I need to pull these fiules and put them on my master drive to keep or find a way to get this drive back up and working.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks,

Danielle :help:

cjongreen
28-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Is this a fairly old system or fairly new.Some of the older setup's occasionally have a bit of a Bios Meltdown and lose the Drive. You can sometimes fix it by going into the Bios(push Del repeatedly on Boot) and getting it to redetect the Drive's. If it's a newer system the same can apply as occasionally they seem to misplace other bit's and piece's(Settings)..Although I'd have to say it'd be the first time I've heard of a drive being lost with newer machine's,plenty of other stuffup's but not that one.However with Pc's you just never know.

pctek
28-03-2006, 02:40 PM
You removed it how? PHysically? Check your jumpers and cable connections are all correct for both the master and slave drives.
Or disconnect the slave again and get it booting first.

If nothing you have done gets it back there is the possibility that the drive has died.

kingdragonfly
28-03-2006, 02:41 PM
First things first. Details regarding your PC always help the helpers. This includes such things as *all* drives hooked up, and how they are cabled (more than one hard drive on a cable?) If you know they type of drives great; if you know the make and models even better.

If it doesn't show up during POST, when your PC's detecting drives, it's not going to show up in Windows.

(This excludes external removable drives. SCSI drives and some types of RAIDs may not show up in POST, but they're unusual in home PC's).

Typically while the PC boots you press the "Del" / "Delete" / "F1" / "Esc" but unfortunately there's quite a bit of variety among manufacturers.

danielle_S
28-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Hello all...thanks for yor responses...

OK this is what I have:

Intel Celron 1.8 Ghz
40GB hdd (master), DVDRW, CDRW, 10 GB hdd (slave).
Windows XP
My computer is about 3 years old now

The slave drive is from my old pc, so its not like I got it from an unknown source. The way they have been connected is with 1 cable with plugged into both hdd's.

I have frozen the slave drive (in my freezer) for about 20 minutes (that is not helping) I have gone into the bios settings with the slave drive plugged in and neither hdd is detected, only the DVD drive is detected (not even the CD drive). When I remove the slave drive the master hdd is detected and I am fine to use my pc (that is how I am on here now). I am not so worried about keeping the drive as I am retrieving the data that is on it.

I hope this helps someone to be able to give me answer that will end in me getting the data (even though I may be wishful thinkking at this point).

If any of this is garbled, I appologize I just came home from a business trip to this and am now completly jet-lagged!!!

thanks again for your patience and help!!

Danielle :stare:

Graham L
28-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Try putting it on the CD/DVD cable. That way it shouldn't be able to lock out the main OS disk. Make sure the BIOS has detected the drive ...

BTW, why do people recommend putting a faulty disk in a freezer? Have they ever heard of condensation? Water does not do disk surfaces any good at all. Sacrificing a chicken would be far more satisfying, and would not do any damage As for making things work, it would be just as effective.

kingdragonfly
28-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Freezing the drive in your freezer? I'm not going to ask.

Anyhow to make sure the drive jumper settings are not interferring with each other, try to temporarily disconnect the drive cable from the DVD drive and plugging it into the salve drive, one drive per cable.

With luck, both drives show up in POST.

danielle_S
28-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I know, I thought the same thing when I saw that on another tech support site, but it was apparently recommended by many to freeze your hard drive (some for up to 48 hours), needless to say it did not work.

I had actually done what you suggested (checked the jumpers and attached it to my DVD cable) I had only the 2 hard drives and the floppy connected and the slave drive did not come up at all.

My assumption at this point is that it is dead and I cannot extract the data from it...does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can get teh files from there?

Thanks again for your help, I feel officially deafeted but appreciate your time.

Danielle :waughh:

Graham L
28-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Do'nt give up totally.

The BIOS might not see a hard disk on a cable which has had a CD/DVD on it. Once it has got the CD setting, it might not do an Autodetect of a hard disk unless it's told to. ;)

As a last try, it's certainly worth booting a LiveCD version of Linux (Mnoppix etc), and seeing if it can access the drive.

danielle_S
28-03-2006, 04:14 PM
You Said....As a last try, it's certainly worth booting a LiveCD version of Linux (Mnoppix etc), and seeing if it can access the drive.

How would I get hold of this? This is new to me and I have never even heard of it, is this simply a download?

Thanks...seeing a very small light of hope here....Danielle

Graham L
28-03-2006, 04:24 PM
If you have a fast connection you can download a CD image and make your own ...it's a full running OS (Linux) which doesn't need to be installed. It runs from the CD. Dick Smith Electronics (www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4428ba48038c8606273fc0a87f9906b3/Product/View/XC4043) will sell you one for $5 .

Linux can often read a disk when Windows won't.

danielle_S
28-03-2006, 04:26 PM
WOW...Thanks very much, I had no idea I could do that. I will try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Danielle

kingdragonfly
28-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Never used 'em, but there is this company in NZ:
http://www.datarecovery.co.nz/data-recovery-case-studies.html

If it's anything like the States, it's not going to be cheap, in the thousands.