PDA

View Full Version : New PC turns Evil

aidanmaz
28-03-2006, 12:20 PM
I recently got a new PC (P4 3.0gHz HT, 512 ddr ram, DVD +/-RW, 200gbs hdd, Ati radeon 128mb vid card) i have had it only 2 weeks and i noticed that it sometimes does not detect IDE channels, it freezes before even displaying "detecting IDE...." Windows XP SP2 cannot seem to see more than 187 gb of disk space. the CNR modem doesnt dial because "a program is open using this port please close then program and try again" Whats a the benefits of going to Server 2003 and using that as a workstation? maybe the IDE prob is caused by the extra 40gig i added which works fine?

kingdragonfly
28-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Judging by the general nature of your problems, and some seem to occur on POST, I'd suspect any number of hardware problems. First on the list would be a bad motherboard.

The hard drive detection phase of POST sucks a lot of juice as the hard drives spin up, so there's a small chance the power supply not up to snuff.

Server 2003 is mostly a security tightened version of Server 2000. I've seen Server 2003 even installed on laptops, it primary purpose in life is, not surprisingly, as a server.

Not recommended as a workstation / gaming PC. I'd be surprised if it fixed any of your problems.

pctek
28-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Your PC is new. Take it back and get the the shop to sort it out. Changing O/Ss won't help.

dolby digital
28-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Your PC is new. Take it back and get the the shop to sort it out. Changing O/Ss won't help.

I agree with "broken" Pctek, take it back although you mentioned the extra 40GB hard drive which hopefully won't effect the warranty.

Graham L
28-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Remove the extra 40GB drive. If the problem is still there, take it back.

Graham L
28-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Remove the extra 40GB drive. If the problem is still there, get the vendor to fix it.