PDA

View Full Version : Internet looses its way

gum digger
28-03-2006, 09:26 AM
HI
My computer is conneced to another computer via ethernet card & the internet is shared aswel via AnalogX proxy. the network works great. but i leave my computer on over night for downloading, what happens is that, when i wake up in the morning i see that iam not reciving or sending any bytes, its like dead connection. why would this be happning. at night the other computer which is networked is turned off. i also closed proxy and disabled the LAN.

i am on 256k/ihug plan.
using the USB modem.

my computer specz are in my signature.

drcspy
28-03-2006, 09:28 AM
at night the other computer which is networked is turned off.

ah......i dont getcha ........is there three puters in all or if only two then if you turn off the 'other puter' which your one networks thru of course it wont download anything.........

gum digger
28-03-2006, 08:24 PM
OK.
There are 2 computers in total.
The computer which i have shared the connection to is turned off at night.
but the computer which hosts the connection is on overnight and is having problems.

gum digger
31-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Come on guys help me out on this one.

Begging.

gcarmich
31-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Why only SP1A ? And are you running the latest version of Analogue poxy.

gum digger
31-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I am on SP2 now and running latest version of proxy

gum digger
10-04-2006, 09:19 AM
OK. ill make it simple for u guyz.
Is there a program which can keep track of all the program
So i know which program starts/ends at what time, so that i can see what make my connection stops rec/sending bytes.

i-gordon
10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Does a reboot of your comp restart the downloads? Are you using a P2P file sharing program?

Ian

gum digger
11-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Does a reboot of your comp restart the downloads? Are you using a P2P file sharing program?

Ian

What you mean gordon. yes i do use p2p

i-gordon
11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Which Program ?
Some P2P file sharing programs like eMule that I use cause massive traffic, some routers and modems and firewalls cant handle it properly, I'm not sure exactly what it is but it appears to be a caching problem that clogs up the system, sometimes cured by rebooting the router, or closing and restarting the firewall, or rebooting the comp, sometimes I have had to do all 3 to get it going again. Are you using Zone Alarm firewall if so, dump it. P2P and Zone Alarm dont mix. Sygate is a good one for P2P.
More info needed ?
Ian

gum digger
11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I do use sygate

SolMiester
11-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi, how you worked your problem out yet?

I would start with leaving the pc which shares the internet to the pc which is downloading at night ON.

Unless I am reading this post wrong, you are turning off your source to the internet..:-(

The_End_Of_Reality
11-04-2006, 10:25 PM
SolMiester - You are reading the post wrong
OK.
There are 2 computers in total.
The computer which i have shared the connection to is turned off at night.
but the computer which hosts the connection is on overnight and is having problems. The Host IS on and gum digger is NOT turning off the net source.

Anyway, gum digger - I have just had the exact same problem, initialy I thought it was the Ethernet port but a quick reinstall of windows and I am running fine now :) Stupid Windows :badpc:

Anyway HTH :thumbs:

gum digger
11-04-2006, 11:16 PM
SolMiester - You are reading the post wrong The Host IS on and gum digger is NOT turning off the net source.

Anyway, gum digger - I have just had the exact same problem, initialy I thought it was the Ethernet port but a quick reinstall of windows and I am running fine now :) Stupid Windows :badpc:

Anyway HTH :thumbs:

Nah i bluddy reformatted and still same problem.
there has to be something which triggers it.

i-gordon
11-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I recon its a modem problem. Has this modem you are using ever worked correctly in the past ? I dont mean with you Lan or internet connection. I mean with your P2P. If not can you try another modem of a different brand/type to see if it makes any difference? (Avoid Dynalink products for P2P. The router that Orcon are offering discounted Dynalink RTA1335 is a dog for P2P). Smart move Orcon keep the traffic down.
One more time. What P2P program are you using?
Ian

Rob99
12-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Your modem is to hot!! Stand it up, let the air around it.

Your modem is a pile of poo!! Chuck it in front of a train and get a better one.

Invest $40 in a switch or $15 in another NIC for the host, and ditch the USB connection, unless the modem is USB only.

You could look in the system logs.

gum digger
12-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Yeh i rekon aye. This USB modem was provided by iHug. and yes it did work properly in past. but one thing is that this ONLY happens at night. when the room temp is cool.

The_End_Of_Reality
12-04-2006, 09:58 AM
That is also what mine done, then it started doing it all the time. Have you tried swapping the modem and client PC's ethernet ports? does that have any effect?
For me it was one of the ports