eef2
28-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi ,
Check this page if you're unhappy with broadband speeds when they
should be up to 24mb/s

http://www.ihug.co.nz/info/betterbband.html

Go down to "What can i do to Help"

Download the ‘better broadband for NZ' letter and forward it to David
Cunliffe at dcunliffe@ministers.govt.nz.

tip:-try Googles' cache. That way you can cut and paste the letter from HTML to a word processor and from there cut and paste to an email. Or use Firefox's "view in HTML" accessory.

Don't forget to update
the letter with the date as well as your name and contact details.

Every letter counts.

stu161204
28-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I have all ready voted on the ihug poll ( & I voted yes) :)

pctek
28-03-2006, 03:51 PM
What a cheek:
"Breaking News
From April 3rd we'll be able to offer 3.5 Mb broadband as a stop-gap measure, while we wait for the outcome of our application to the Commerce Commission for speeds of up to 7.5 Mb. "

They are able to offer this because of Telecom, not in spite of. I think they should all contribute to the cost of the new infrastructure instead of just sitting their whinging and behaving like parasites.

Greg
28-03-2006, 03:58 PM
What a cheek:
"Breaking News
From April 3rd we'll be able to offer 3.5 Mb broadband as a stop-gap measure, while we wait for the outcome of our application to the Commerce Commission for speeds of up to 7.5 Mb. "

They are able to offer this because of Telecom, not in spite of. I think they should all contribute to the cost of the new infrastructure instead of just sitting their whinging and behaving like parasites.
Yeah I absolutely agree. I mean sheesh, it's beginning to sound like NZ'ers are a bunch of whinging Poms. :groan:

(bold mine)

stu161204
28-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I mean sheesh, it's beginning to sound like NZ'ers are a bunch of whinging Poms. :groan:

I think you will fine we are all ready are a bunch of whinging Poms.

Do a search of PressF1 / Aardvark Forums / telescum forums / nzdsl forums & you will fine people whinging about these new plans.

Greg
28-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah mate. But can't it end somewhere when we do actually get better service/prices/speed?

Sure, keep up the pressure to obtain the best service etc that we can get. I've got no problem with that. But when we expect it all for free then it starts sounding silly.

stu161204
28-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah mate. But can't it end somewhere when we do actually get better service/prices/speed?

I don’t think it will never end, just take a look over at Australia they are saying they have bad Broadband :groan:, but compared to us they have it good.

SilentNight
28-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah mate. But can't it end somewhere when we do actually get better service/prices/speed? I don’t think it will never end

Well that's partially true. If we go back to the "original" DSL plans (the one I remember is 128kbps upstream and downstream with a 5GB international data cap) - we were whinging then.

Span to ~3 years later and I've been bumped onto several other plans through that process, firstly when they got rid of "Jetstart" (or whatever they called that 5GB international plan) and put me onto some other plan which didn't really see the light of day before I now ended up on the 10GB 2mbps connection.

My question is what's wrong with 2mbps for now?
Granted it's not the best and we could do up to ~8mbps (probably 7 if you take into account line conditions and tcp headers) with the current ADSL systems in place.
But it's a definite improvement on 128kbps.

I mean I do get brassed off with downloads taking their time, but for the most of the day my router just sits at home, connected at its 2mbps doing nothing, and so for that, do I really need an 8mbps connection?!

There's also the argument that once we are given 8mbps, where do we go from there? We've reached the limit of our current ADSL technology and will have to wait until ADSL 2 is deployed - which will probably mean shelling out ~$150 for an ADSL2 compatible router.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming for better, I'm just saying maybe we should also be grateful for what we currently have.

eef2
28-03-2006, 07:19 PM
last writer asks: My question is what's wrong with 2mbps for now?

I ask What's wrong with Telecom defending it's corporate relationship with Sky TV?

Think about it.....

eef2

Big John
28-03-2006, 09:01 PM
What a cheek:
"Breaking News

They are. Try reading the news some time. They are paying extra because they took out the petition to try and get the goverment to force them to give us what we should already be having.

At least they are doing something about it and not relying on Telecom to drip feed what it thinks it can get away with. If it was up to them we would still have brick phones and pay mega bucks for each call.

rogerp
28-03-2006, 09:37 PM
What a cheek:

Exactly. If these other ISPs really wanted to help New Zealanders (as they claim to want to do), they would join up and setup their own infrastructure. Or they would at least lobby the government to setup a competing network, as it was the government that sold telecom and NZs telecommunications infrastructure off for a song. The bottom line is that these moaning ISPs care more about making money and their bottom line.

Remember that a large percentage of Telecom is now owned by your mum and pas here in New Zealand. They are a business and they are not a charity.

My problem with NZs broadband offerings, is the upload speeds are far too slow. As a graphics person who does a lot of international work, the upload speeds are not fast enough for my requirements, as I need to upload GBs of data a day.

Mada
28-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I can't even GET broadband, yet I'm not excactly rural (think Swanson). You learn a lot of patience with dial-up!

olldaddy78
28-03-2006, 10:36 PM
THanks for the advice which I have acted on and sent MR Cunliffe an email wih many more reasons why he should make the right deciscion in JUNE.......or earlier...

Greg
29-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Exactly. If these other ISPs really wanted to help New Zealanders (as they claim to want to do), they would join up and setup their own infrastructure.That's a fair point. If they collectively pooled their resources and started now (well, preferably 5 years ago, although none were visionary enough then) then perhaps we might have a serious copper competitor some time time in the reasonable future.

Big John
29-03-2006, 12:50 AM
That's a fair point. If they collectively pooled their resources and started now (well, preferably 5 years ago, although none were visionary enough then) then perhaps we might have a serious copper competitor some time time in the reasonable future.

That's the point. If the goverment forces unbundling then others will be able to do this. As it is Telecom has sole rights to that bit of copper that we all paid for by paying our taxes. Therefore that bit of copper should belong to us and if we want another ISP to use it then we should be allowed to.

No ISP has the money to rewire the whole of NZ to put new copper in.

Greg
29-03-2006, 02:00 AM
No ISP has the money to rewire the whole of NZ to put new copper in.Not even if industry investment and collaboration by several ISP's contibute? Hmmm.

chiefnz
29-03-2006, 08:34 AM
If these other ISPs really wanted to help New Zealanders (as they claim to want to do), they would join up and setup their own infrastructure.
It's not as simple as joining forces and beating the "bad guy" There is a s*%^load of wiring that needs to be done for a second network... along with that there are things such as resource consents blah blah blah... While I can understand the logic in your statement it isn't exactly best practice... besides once they've dug all the trenshes and laid all the cables who do you think the cost is going to fall on... their investors? I think not... we the consumers will bare most of the brunt.

We have an existing network... what needs to be done is get it regulated properly... LLU is probably the best way to go... but the government MUST grow some BALLS and put Telecom in it's place.

cheers

chiefnz

pctek
29-03-2006, 09:00 AM
That's the point. If the goverment forces unbundling then others will be able to do this. As it is Telecom has sole rights to that bit of copper that we all paid for by paying our taxes. Therefore that bit of copper should belong to us and if we want another ISP

No ISP has the money to rewire the whole of NZ to put new copper in.
The others can make deals with Telecom now - noone is stopping them.

Telecom has the rights cause they paid for it - the others want the use without forking out.

Even Telecom?

mikebartnz
29-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Remember that a large percentage of Telecom is now owned by your mum and pas here in New Zealand.
I sure would like to know where you get that from because I don't believe a word of it. I think you will find that overseas investors own the greatest number of the shares.

Audent
29-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I think you'll find far more than 60% of Telecom's shareholders live outside Australia and New Zealand, which would imply that of the remaining 40%, a fair proportion live in Australia.

As for building a second network - the cost would be more than the market can bear. TelstraClear spent over $1bn building its network in Wellington, Christchurch and a wee bit of the Kapiti Coast. It proposed spending another billion on Auckland but was knocked back by the city council.

That's a lot of money to wire up a relatively small area. There's also not a lot standing in the way of Telecom simply walking down the street offering discounts to those customers on the new network's path. Telecom did exactly that when TelstraSaturn as it was rolled out cable in Wellington.

There's always wireless, of course, but that too has its limitations and is really a niche product at best.

With a country the size of Britain or Japan and a population of only four million, we're stuck with one network. The trick is, to maximise our use of that network - something we aren't currently doing.

rogerp
29-03-2006, 04:52 PM
As it is Telecom has sole rights to that bit of copper that we all paid for by paying our taxes. Therefore that bit of copper should belong to us and if we want another ISP to use it then we should be allowed to.

No, Telecom now owns the infrastructure because WE (The government on our behalf) sold our telecommunications infrastructure to a private company. When you sell something YOU NO LONGER OWN IT.

How would you like it if the previous owners of your house (who also built the house), came back to you tens years later, they demanded that they lease out one of your bedrooms, because they they believe that they have the rights to do so becuase they originally paid for and built the house. This is despite the selling the house to you. It is exactly the same thing.

There is the kiwi share agreement, however that is not applicable to DSL, and only applies to phone calls.

pctek
29-03-2006, 06:56 PM
How would you like it if the previous owners of your house (who also built the house), came back to you tens years later, they demanded that they lease out one of your bedrooms, because they they believe that they have the rights to do so becuase they originally paid for and built the house. T
And everyone else in the neighbourhood insists they can use the kitchen.

Big John
29-03-2006, 09:29 PM
No, Telecom now owns the infrastructure because WE (The government on our behalf) sold our telecommunications infrastructure to a private company. When you sell something YOU NO LONGER OWN IT.

How would you like it if the previous owners of your house (who also built the house), came back to you tens years later, they demanded that they lease out one of your bedrooms, because they they believe that they have the rights to do so becuase they originally paid for and built the house. This is despite the selling the house to you. It is exactly the same thing.

There is the kiwi share agreement, however that is not applicable to DSL, and only applies to phone calls.

I believe that is happening right now but lets not go there. The Goverment can regulate and get the copper back at allow acess to that copper for a fair price but Telecom know that if that happens competion might be too hot for them to handle and try at every turn to stop it.

Are you sure you don't work for Telecom?

Metla
29-03-2006, 10:19 PM
When you sell something YOU NO LONGER OWN IT.

Try and tell that to This Guy (http://georgesteinmetz.com/html/maori.html)

Or how about this crowd (http://aotearoa.wellington.net.nz/)

Or even this lot (http://www.waitangi-tribunal.govt.nz/about/established.asp)

Fine bunch of chaps and chapesses Im sure they all are.

Anyhow, Perhaps we should call a hui, throw out a half dozen Haka's, spit on the ground and poke out our tounges,...whoops, forgot the stick waving, something which must be done when poking out the toungue, and with a blood curdeling roar we can demand that "Whitie GIVE US BACK OUR LAND1111"

er...I mean give us back our local loop.......we want it back, so give it, Now, go on, give it back, please?......no?, Can we have a job then?, just for me and the lads, and a special department just for those who are special, like me and the cuzzies.....

andrew93
29-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I sure would like to know where you get that from because I don't believe a word of it. I think you will find that overseas investors own the greatest number of the shares.
It depends on how you look at it. Institutional investors (local and overseas) own >90% of the shares in Telecom, but >99% of shareholders have less than 100,000 shares. These are the Ma and Pa investors, who mostly reside in NZ and Australia.

Source: http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/disclosures_ar_05.pdf