PDA

View Full Version : software wont download from PCWorld CD

beyondallken
27-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Attempting to install Mozilla Thunderbird from PC World CD I get "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded".
What security setting specifically, and where do I find and alter it ? :annoyed:

tweak'e
27-03-2006, 09:18 PM
copy it from the cd and paste it to a location on your hardrive.

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2006, 09:22 PM
If you're using XP SP2 open IE and go to tools / internet options / advanced.

And tick the 1st option under security.

tweak'e
27-03-2006, 09:26 PM
If you're using XP SP2 open IE and go to tools / internet options / advanced.

And tick the 1st option under security.
it might be best left alone. judging by the post the person may need all the sicurity they can get :eek:

beyondallken
28-03-2006, 10:07 AM
it might be best left alone. judging by the post the person may need all the sicurity they can get :eek:
I have to say - your comment is not at all helpful. I am well aware of security settings, and their importance, so if you dont have an answer then you have nothing to contribute thank you.
All I wanted to know was "what setting is blocking a download from the CD, and where can I find it".
I asked the question in order to increase my knowledge and understanding, but the thinly veiled insult that an explanation would be wasted on me, adds nothing to my knowledge - or your mana.
In fact I cannot copy the file to my hard drive because the computer will not accept it, so I still ask - how/why is this particular item blocked, because my search of the settings leaves me unsure why/how it is happening.
I was only updating Thunderbird, and have done so without the PC World CD, so I really just want to know which specific setting is blocking one of the many files on the CD.

plod
28-03-2006, 10:13 AM
this could be a stupid question but is it the cd or the dvd. have you got a dvd reader

beyondallken
28-03-2006, 10:29 AM
this could be a stupid question but is it the cd or the dvd. have you got a dvd reader
Thanks for the interest. The CD in question was in the April issue of PC World.
My drive is a fairly new Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive, and so far it has worked perfectly - for all its functions, both reading and writing CD and DVD.
The problem with the download is that specific file and not others on the same disk, although that is the only one I tried to install this time.
I have seen the same message previously - when I still had the old CD drive installed - but it was not important at the time, and I just moved on.
This time I had time and interest enough to want to know what setting on my machine is presumably trying to protect me, and how/why.

tweak'e
28-03-2006, 10:35 AM
I have to say - your comment is not at all helpful. I am well aware of security settings, and their importance, so if you dont have an answer then you have nothing to contribute thank you.
All I wanted to know was "what setting is blocking a download from the CD, and where can I find it".
I asked the question in order to increase my knowledge and understanding, but the thinly veiled insult that an explanation would be wasted on me, adds nothing to my knowledge - or your mana.
In fact I cannot copy the file to my hard drive because the computer will not accept it, so I still ask - how/why is this particular item blocked, because my search of the settings leaves me unsure why/how it is happening.
I was only updating Thunderbird, and have done so without the PC World CD, so I really just want to know which specific setting is blocking one of the many files on the CD.
ok go throw a hissy.

there is no sicurity setting that stops you copying a file from a cd to your hardrive, you do not get that error if you do that.
frankly those who can't work out copy/paste should leave sicurity settings well alone.

beyondallken
28-03-2006, 10:55 AM
ok go throw a hissy.

there is no sicurity setting that stops you copying a file from a cd to your hardrive, you do not get that error if you do that.
frankly those who can't work out copy/paste should leave sicurity settings well alone.
You still seem determined to be unhelpful ?
I do understand and use cut/copy & paste regularly, and I can assure you that even by that process, the "security setting" message still appears.
I have no way of knowing what computer knowledge/experience you have, or therefore how much faith I can put in your response, but something is blocking the downloading of a file.
If you really thought that I didnt understand how to do it, why didnt you offer instructions instead of trying to appear clever at my expense?
I just want to learn. What are you in it for ?

tweak'e
28-03-2006, 11:15 AM
now where getting some reall info...your coping/paste from the cd gives you a suicurity warning.
what program are you useing to copy and paste in?

the sicurity warnings are useally IE only related, which is why you get "can't run active content" error messages when "downloading" off magizine disks. unless you have tweaked the "my computer" sicurity settings which can effect explorer.

that fact that your error message has 'downloading' in suggests your doing it from Internet Explorer not explorer.

do you get the same error when copying files from other cd's?

beyondallken
28-03-2006, 12:45 PM
If there is anything else you need to know in order to identify the problem, I will be happy to respond.
Although I use Mozilla by default, running the CD activates Internet Explorer.
When I get the message that "IE has restricted the file from showing active content", I click the option to allow it and it refreshes, so I doubt that is where the problem lies ?
I had not checked it before, but I find that on that same CD I get the same refusal for any of the .exe files on the disk, although I got a pdf file to install from the disk with no trouble.
I can run my own photo CD's and DVD movies fine, so the PC World software disk is the only type with .exe stuff I have.
Do I take it from your reply that I should open the CD in Explorer, rather than in the browser which opens by default? :help:

Safari
28-03-2006, 12:54 PM
IE/Internet Options/Security Tab
Click on Default Level

beyondallken
28-03-2006, 01:39 PM
IE/Internet Options/Security Tab
Click on Default Level
Hey that seems to have done the trick ! Although I did still seem to have the problem briefly, this time I was able to save to "My Downloads" in "My Documents", and although I dont now need it, because I downloaded it from elsewhere, the file works from there.
Thank you for your interest and help. :thumbs: