PDA

View Full Version : Why does opera not....

beetle
27-03-2006, 06:38 PM
i use opera as my main browser,
and frequent a MSN photography site, which has a chat room, but i cannot for the life of me get opera to downoad or accept the java??? (is it) or whatever is required to load and run it to work?
this is an american site so.... im pushing the preverbial here arnt i?

is it a msn thing or a opera thing? neither compatable?
and will i have to resort to IE?
but as i recall Firefox managed to run it? so what has changed? why cant opera do this?

beetle :illogical

tweak'e
27-03-2006, 07:03 PM
no idea wht your on about

got a url of the site that dosn't work ?

beetle
27-03-2006, 07:11 PM
ooooooooooops i meant the chat room wont work......... the site otherwise works fine.

but i cannot go to the chat room when they are having a workshop or chat topic forum that i am interested in....

sorry, when i click on chat page it comes up saying need to download msn chat? or some such words to that effect........

http://groups.msn.com/Asktheoleproaboutphotography

clearer than mud now?

beetle

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Hmm well mine works here but when I click on chat (u have to change it to identify as IE in Opera). Or it says it isnt compatible.

BUT I get the page where it says We are now downloading MSN Chat software..

Nothing comes up lol. So, I cant go any further.

And if I click on Common installations / questions down the bottom its a blank page!

So I take it MS Java or Sun Java (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) is installed on yours Beetle?

And yup, you're right. The site u gave picks FF up as Netscape, tells u to download / install a file called nppgwrap.exe. u haveta close the browser then install this file. Then go back to the site, and it'll install the chat software.

btw, you're not missing out on anything. There's noone there lol.

beetle
27-03-2006, 08:14 PM
LOL i know noone will be there now........ american hours is vastly diff to us......... but i no when to meet up with them.

So how do i get this to work in opera? can i get it to work in opera?

i seem to recall being asked about the java thing before and cannot remember....... what the answer is. :rolleyes:
searching seems to find i had sun java installed somewhere????

thanxs speedy...:D

help please?
beetle

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Does J2SE runtime Environment Version 5.0 update 6 appear in add/remove programs? Or is MS Java installed?

If no to both, download the file from the site, I gave in my previous post.

Its about 16mb. (the offline install - 2nd option on the sun site).

Greven
27-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Opera can install netscape plugins can't it? I remember reading somewhere that is why they have a netscape.exe file

tweak'e
27-03-2006, 09:07 PM
opera uses netscape style plugins. with java they are not needed as opera works directly with it. however it only works with sun java not MSjava.

beetle
27-03-2006, 09:24 PM
i have J2SE runtime environment version 5.0 update 1?

does this mean it needs updating?

lost now.

beetle

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2006, 10:03 PM
i have J2SE runtime environment version 5.0 update 1?

does this mean it needs updating?

lost now.

beetle

Yup, I would. I think u have to download the update which is now 6. Uninstall update 1. Then install update 6. Dont know if it'll work or not after tho.

beetle
27-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Cant get the new downloaded version to install after uninstalling the old version....:(

beetle

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Cant get the new downloaded version to install after uninstalling the old version....:(

beetle

Did u reboot after uninstalling update 1?

And did you download the offline installation? (the 16mb file)?

Whats the error say why it wont install (if there's an error msg)?

Try ccleaner so it gets rid of the trash/rubbish then try and install update 6.

beetle
28-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok deleted original DL.... cos i couldnt get it to work, so thought try again.

and tried on and off all day to get new dl going and internet keeps cutting out so no go here...........gets to about 74% and i lose it

will have to try again sometime, so currently am java less......

and will have to put up with it for a day or so.

thanxs speedy...

stupid cheap net dialup...

beetle

Greven
29-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Use a download manager like getright so you can resume your downloads when the net cuts out