PDA

View Full Version : Internal email on peer-to-peer network

walfred
27-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a small business setup with 5 computers netwroked perr-to-peer (all windows XP or 2000)

At present, all users have separate mailboxes at the ISP. This means that we generate lots of extra traffic when we, for instance, copy an outgoing email to another of our own staff because the message goes out to the ISP and back in again when the other user checks their mail.

I know that we could install Small business Server but we don't need a full server setup so there must be another simpler solution.

I had a similar situation which we solved with a Linux computer running Fetchmail and Sendmail but this seemed to require quite a bit of command-line stuff which I am hoping to avoid in this small office.

Appreciate all suggestions thanks.

berryb
27-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Do a search on Google. I can't remember the name of a program I tried once. It was cheap and would work fine for a small business. Have a look at the link below of software from download.com. If I can think of the one I used I will post it.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&qt=mail+server&tg=dl-20

walfred
29-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that link.
MailEnable looks to be the answer although it does require a static IP which then leads on to the question about setting up that on the Nokia M11 ADSL connection.
I presume that I simply use NAT to redirect port 25 traffic to the internal machine that has the MailEnable program server program on it (having first assigned a fixed internal IP to that computer)
Is it as simple as that?

gcarmich
29-03-2006, 11:29 AM
You will need something that can do pop3 retrieval for you otherwise your into the land of having your DNS reconfigured to point to a fixed IP address on your internet connection with holes punched in the firewall to allow the smtp traffic to an internal machine.

Look at something like

http://www.code-crafters.com/abilitymailserver/index.html

which should allow you to do what your after.

gcarmich
29-03-2006, 11:33 AM
You'll need at least the professional lite version of the above package.