PDA

View Full Version : How can I re install a now fallen over server that used to take "thatgame "chess?

effie c
27-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi,
When I tried to send my copy which is on a f/d to a mate on their new pooter,they could not get it to install.
"Thatgame" server has fallen over - finally, this time and by a fluke I had 4 previously started games stored , which those of us who still have that program can use- though we have to accept the initial moves that are there - the "first moves on a new game" used to have to go to "thatgame" server before, from then on, not having to.
I can only assume there are hidden lost files in my pooter that do not transfer to a f/d which could then be installed by my mate.
Can I get at those files ?-- and copy an "initial install"
:badpc:
:help:
effie c

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 11:47 AM
You cannot transfer games from one pc to another simply by copying the folder that contains the program. This is because when you installed the game, it also installs files into the Windows directory along with registry entries.

Edit - terrible grammer

kingdragonfly
27-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I'd like to help, but I can barely understand your post.

Is the game's installer on a floppy disk?

Are you attemping to copy a game without using the game's supplied installer?

effie c
27-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi,
Thatgamechess was a neat visual type of chess which was able to be downloaded- free, off the net,for several years it would work O K but near the end the contact said that the server wanted money spent on it and he did not have any--it finaly crashed- and died.
Some of us were able to use the "saved" - prestarted games from "my Documents" and continue.- they are still in existance and as I still have it in my pooter, am still able to play chess
The first move of any new game required it to go through "thatgame" server, and after that there was no need to.
All I tried to do was copy everything to a f/d ( only 437 bytes ) but when the receiving - new pooter, got it, could not install it- my question is where do I look for those missing files and copy them too - or is that impossible
effie c

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Is this the game effie?

http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/01zwd8/that_chess.htm

or this

http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/product.html?98014133266

godfather
27-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I have a copy of the original file for "thatgame chess" (chess.exe) in my archives here (208 kB).
If someone PM's me an email address, I will send it to them.

godfather
27-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Is this the game effie?

http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/01zwd8/that_chess.htm

or this

http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/product.html?98014133266

The top one is the game, but the download link now goes to a site that has not got the game (for reasons already given by effie c)

Bottom one has dead links for the same reason.

effie c
27-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi Godfather,
that 209 mb reminds me that that in fact was the size - not the ones I quoted - I think !!!
Would that include the hidden files I am talking about- my copy on a f/d is still with the new computer owner- after their unsuccessful install attempt
I had tried it here - using the f/d and it worked---but apparently only by locating the hidden files in my computer
If I am wrong yes I would love to give you my address and regain the install ability
effie c

godfather
27-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Here it is in ZIP format.

Unzip it to extract chess.exe.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/chess.zip

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 09:00 PM
The top one is the game, but the download link now goes to a site that has not got the game (for reasons already given by effie c)

Bottom one has dead links for the same reason.

TRUE!!!!, how embarrassing.... :blush:

effie c
27-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi Godfather
Thanks for that,
unfortunately it comes up as "invalid- but that may be due to F1 being " compressed file is invalid or corrupted"- I don't thinkI have done wrong
what next?
It flashed over the screen first then was gone
effie c

Sweep
28-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi Godfather
Thanks for that,
unfortunately it comes up as "invalid- but that may be due to F1 being " compressed file is invalid or corrupted"- I don't thinkI have done wrong
what next?
It flashed over the screen first then was gone
effie c

I downloaded Godfathers link and "thatgame" installed here.

If you like I will Email you my copy which I got courtesy of Godfather.

Will send instructions on what to do with it.

effie c
28-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Sweeper,
I have replied to you by direct e mail
I think I know you from the far distant past :thumbs: :cool:
I saved that
file you sent, to a f/d,and it opened , so how come G F showed failure if yours is a copy of his?---my pooter, yet again? playing silly beggers---
I sent it to a f/d so as to try it on my mate's virgin computer- may take a while before I get there - things are diffilcult at times, but will let you know success or failure
effie c

Graham L
28-03-2006, 04:18 PM
effie, bad downloads do happen. ;)

Just for fun I did a Google search for "chess.exe download". There are quite a few available. ;)

Graham L
28-03-2006, 04:19 PM
effie, bad downloads do happen. ;)

Just for fun I did a Google search for "chess.exe download". There are quite a few available.

effie c
28-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Graham L,
Yes been there done that - in desperation but the only "thatgame" site adcertised( even with a picture of thatgame chess board)eventually is channelled to the Pearl Harbour Invasion by the Japanese.
However Sweeper re downloaded Godfather's file it worked and he resent it on to me.- I saved it to a f/d and in theory when I can get round to my mate's virgin computer"thatgame" install I will see if that works-
Sweeper says he tried it out and it worked, but I know Sweeper used to play this version of chess before walking away from it---and I wonder if the "critical" files are in fact still on his pooter.
My Mate's
pooter has never seen thatgame before - so if it will install thhere I am away laughing
effie c

godfather
28-03-2006, 06:26 PM
effie c

All that your problem was, is that your download became corrupted.

Simply deleting the downloaded file and trying another download would have worked. I have just downloaded and extracted the file, no corruption is present in the file.

As Graham said, corruptions in downloads happen. Its not a terminal event, you just delete the old one and do it again, it's a very small file even for dial-up.

As for "critical files", that file is the complete installer.
It has no dependence on anything else that may or may not have been on the PC before in the way of Chess files.

effie c
28-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi godfather,
O K I sure have learned of late- even at my ripe old age- thank you again- I will now try and persuade my mate that I can in deed install the game so as to be able to use the stored games we have
Finally I believe I have scored a 3 gb computer with 40 gb h/d and 512 mb DDR ram at right on the limit of my budget so thanks one and all
effie c