PDA

View Full Version : how to transfer stored files from SD ram to DDR ram

effie c
27-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi,
Can somebody tell me if the above is possible.
I am preparing to upgrade my steam driven pooter to DDR ram etc but accepting the fact that the two ram types are incompatible, how can I do this- tranfering to f/d would take about 40 odd with what I have in "my Docs"
---and if I do get the DDR setup etc - many modern pooters do not have a f/d anyway- can the whole lot be ghosted in someway?- certainly not by me but with a pro?
:help:
effie c

godfather
27-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Methinks you have a misconception regarding RAM

The data is not stored permanently in the RAM, it is on the hard drive. RAM contents are cleared every time the computer is powered down.

Does the old computer have a CD writer?

Are you planning on reusing the old hard drive?

Answers to these will yield a result I suspect.

effie c
27-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi godfather,
nah! CD writers were a pipe dream when this steam driven pooter was made ;-)
It does have a much younger (a replacement- 52 speed CD rom, and a the original f/d .
O K accepting I have a misconception over ram what would you do in my place if and when I get a newer computer -I cannot afford a brand new one anyway- as I say I have a lot on this pooter especially photos that have never been printed.---should I go for SD ram which I am told is not very available now a days
The two hardrives that are being used have at times made rude noises, so I can only assume they are going to pack a sad in the near future :-((
I do want to modernise ( even at my great age ) but these "my Doc s " would be missed.
I do not need much more h/d space than the 18.3 gb total I now have- I really only want speed processing etc
My surfing and then downloading big files is all done - 32 programs now on the h/d
If I could be assured these h/d were OK -even in a new pooter I would accept that- but I am told noise is nasty :annoyed:
That noise is comprised of a grinding sound mainly which does go away
effie c

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Effie, what r u doing?

In order to change your PC to DDR RAM, you will need to purchase a motherboard, and probably CPU also. Will you be doing this? The files 'My Docs' held on you old PC are on the noise Hard Drive (18Gb). The Hard drive can always be included into any new PC you purchase or build.

If your current hard drive is noisy, I hope you have made a backup of your 'My Docs'.

You need to tell us how much you can spend, so we may suggest a course of action for you.

kingdragonfly
27-03-2006, 11:59 AM
effie c, you need to work in the quality of your posts. They're bordering on incoherent.

Unusual/unexpected noise from your hard drives is almost always a bad sign. I'd strongly recommend backing up.

Since you don't have a CD-writer, no money, but two hard-drives, I'd recommend backing up critical files between the two.

You might want to invest in a DVD writer since the price is less than $100, and it would allow you to create fairly robust backups.

Myth
27-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Personally, a cheap and quick way to increase your storage capacity and also have a backup of your system in case your harddrive does give up the ghost; is to buy a new harddrive (assuming your system is as old as you say it is, anything over 100Gig would be a waste, depending on its age it may have issues with anything over 32Gig)... and ghost your current drive to the new drive.

As previously mentioned, you have a slight misconception on RAM. Your system (again depending on age) may not like DDR. RAM is a temporary storage for what the computer is doing at a particular point in time. Turn the computer off, and the RAM becomes empty; ready for the next time you turn it on. The "My Docs" folder is stored on the harddrive (along with all other applications).

Greg
27-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Things like photos can be backed up remotely by attaching them to an email and emailing them to your own Gmail address. Of course how practical this is depends on the size/qty of photos and your connection speed.

effie c
27-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi,
kingdragonfly states,that I am incoherent- what do you expect when one gets as old as me ;-((
-- all said and done I T are years younger than me.- and in my day I ran my three companies with good old pen and paper-maybe a typewriter :)

to the rest -- as I stated - incoherent or not , I donot want a newer computer only- but mainly a much faster CPU- how incoherent is that?

Tazz -- I do NOT need to increase my storage- I just want SPEED !!
If I spent $100 on a dvd writer - I still have noisey h/d (s) which could well negate the purchase of a CD W
I still have no other method of backing up anything except into which ever hardrive is the less noisey- how do I locate that answer, do tell ?

Solmeister, as my post stated- I have reached the limit of ANY upgrade whether for speed or card, even.

Motherboard and CPU will have to be replaced at about $350 odd- so what is the point of that - when $650 would get me a much faster younger set up.- second hand yes, but I ain't proud.

Sorry people I am irritated, yes, I have about $400 to spend, and must of choice do the best I can with what I have----
and again all I want is speed nothing else ( as long as my h/d stay together I would retain this pooter, steam driven or no
effie c

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Effie, watch this auction, good up to $200 I'd say and we can then look at more RAM for you!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51285522.htm

or this one looks better, only the the base PC, so $350 would be good.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51963868.htm

Greven
27-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Buy the best second hand computer you can afford, buy a $15 network card from Dick Smiths to chuck in your current computer & use a crossover network cable to transfer all your photos & stuff to your new computer.

If there is anyone here that lives near you, they probably won't mind helping you out once you have bought everything - installing a network card only takes a minute.

effie c
27-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi Solemeister and Greven
Those sites had a marvellous answer to my problem - yes a crossover cable would be worth doing as you said Greven
Ironically I have been surfing trade me.trade&exchange etc and did not see that Solemieter- I really must be old - well done - and I will be able to use my 512 mb ram in this pooter making it a 1 k
Will let you know and thank you in particular
effeic

effie c
27-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi Soelmeister- big joke- there is an auto bid constantly ahead of mre- I have placed 4 bids and still lose- wish me luck

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Effie, the 2nd 1 is the best bet, dont go over $350

or this one with buy now $319, allowing rest of your budget for extra 256RAM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51631887.htm

and another buy now $299

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51524925.htm
will fit your sdram

or this complete unit
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51313242.htm

plenty there buddy......good luck

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 02:37 PM
5 hrs to go on this complete system

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51331112.htm

FoxyMX
27-03-2006, 02:56 PM
5 hrs to go on this complete system

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/auction-51331112.htm
That one has onboard graphics so Eddie will probably need to buy a graphics card for it.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Hes not a gamer, the on-board will do fine!

effie c
27-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi Solemaster and Susan,
I really do appreciate the effort you guys are giving me- and thank you all
So far in the auction I am leading- having got past two auto update posts but I see I have to wait till Sunday 2 April- what a life time :groan:
O well !
No I am NOT a gamer - old timers entertainment means chess and Victorian drawing room games :rolleyes:
Eddie aka effie c

FoxyMX
27-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Hes not a gamer, the on-board will do fine!
Yeah, but Eddie will be wanting to play with Google Earth. Will onboard be good enough for that or will Eddie be disappointed?

Personally, I would be wanting a separate graphics card.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, but Eddie will be wanting to play with Google Earth. Will onboard be good enough for that or will Eddie be disappointed?

Personally, I would be wanting a separate graphics card.

On-board chip do have 3d acceleration Foxy, however they only have access to the slower SD/DDR/DDR2 memory of you RAM (instead of GDDR3), while accessing accross the FSB/HTT, thus coupled with slower GPU cycle and variously other goodies, are not recommended for joe gamer. Normal 2D or basic 3D are as good as dedicated graphics cards.

:2cents:

Myth
27-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Tazz -- I do NOT need to increase my storage- I just want SPEED !!
If I spent $100 on a dvd writer - I still have noisey h/d (s) which could well negate the purchase of a CD W
I still have no other method of backing up anything except into which ever hardrive is the less noisey- how do I locate that answer, do tell ?
effie c W T F.. maybe people should read posts properly.
I gave you a viable answer to a backup (as a noisy harddrive is a PITA and can be the beginning of the end for some).. not once did I say anything about buying a DVD or CD-RW
No point getting hoha if you can't read :annoyed: