PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office Power Point Problem

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi, I have a powerpoint presentation with an excel spreadsheet in it, this is for a presentation that changes very often so usually i double click the spreadsheet on the slide and i can edit it, but when i put it on this one laptop i have, i go to double click it to edit it and it comes up with the error "The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application." I've tried re-installing microsoft office and that doesnt work, also when i try and paste any excel speadsheets in there it doesnt work, some sort of issue with powerpoint and excel on this laptop?. anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Jimmy

CYaBro
27-03-2006, 09:49 AM
It sounds like you have just put a link to a spreadsheet in your presentation.
Did you copy the spreadsheet to the laptop as well? You may also need to recreate the link as it will be looking for the spreadsheet in an exact location i.e. C:\Documents and settings\User\My Documents

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 09:53 AM
yeah i thought of that, i have the spreadsheet in the right location, but it has since been edited in powerpoint and doesnt update the excel file so is it even linked?

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 11:52 AM
oh i didnt mention that when i copy and paste it to any other computer it works, just not on this particular laptop i need it to work on "???"

rad_s4
27-03-2006, 02:04 PM
If you only need to show the static graph - copy it then PasteSpecial as a MetaPicture into Powerpoint. This removes any links with the Excel sheet.

HTH

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 02:29 PM
that wouldnt work since i want to edit it infront of people during a presentation.
thanks

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 02:44 PM
just looked in system properties and it has no service packs in stalled, going to isntall sp2 and see if that will randomly make it work, if not, office updates...

Parry
27-03-2006, 04:34 PM
May be a conflict with Norton AV. Do you have that installed on that laptop?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328613#kb3

Or maybe the filename is too long...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;249060