PDA

View Full Version : clock speed or another problem?

Apteryx
27-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Im a real ignoramus when it comes to whatís under the bonnet, Im trying hard but getting nowhere. Iíve read all the archive files about clock speed and overclocking but not sure if I should? Please help! Any help appreciated - but I can only logon later at night.

My 2year old Intel P4 3.00 Ghz with 120G hard drive and 1G RAM has been much slower than my older 386 since day one and getting slower by the day despite frequent cleanups, clean outs, updates, driver checks, defrags etc you name it I do it.

I have been investigating with various programmes recommended by PCWorld gurus and found: that the cpu frequency reads 100 or 200 MHZ on several programmes! eg SpeedUpMyPC & System mechanic6:
( All screen shots are enlargeable)

More investigation with Throttle Watch shows no throttling and almost always speed shows as 3001Mhz!

( how do I get just the board and not the entire screen? Alt+printscreen wont do it?)

Next check withCPU-Z132 Ė all aok Ė I think! but why does memory performance show as disabled?

If the CPU speed is fine what should I do to stop Startup and file opening speeds like this? Ive got very little software other than the norm and do little but surfing or word processing.

Should I try to overclock with the multiplier? Should I update my BIOS? Should I try something totally different like:
why do my system specs show 2cpus? why is my RAM speed only 166 Mhz? ( just noticed) Is this the problem? What should I do?

Using XP Home SP2 and Office 2003 with all updates.
Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTL, CO.,LTD. (MS-6743)
Chipset : Intel i865PE
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3001 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM PC2700 @ 166 MHz)
Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9200 SE Series (RV280)
Hard Disk : WDC WD1200BB-00DWA0 (120 GB)
DVD-Rom Recorder :DVD DUAL GO-W0404A CDR, CDR-W, DVD-R (40x ) (40x )
Monitor Type : Philips PHILIPS 107E5 15 inchs
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

Oh no why have all my screenshots not copied across?

SurferJoe46
27-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Send your screenshots here: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/

drcspy
27-03-2006, 08:46 AM
dunno what the prob is without more investigaton but I have a P4 2.4Ghz and it's NOT slow...........your system specs should result in fairly FAST computing......

pctek
27-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I

My 2year old Intel P4 3.00 Ghz with 120G hard drive and 1G RAM has been much slower than my older 386 since day one and getting slower by the day despite frequent cleanups, clean outs, updates, driver checks, defrags etc you name it I do it.
?
XP by its nature will slow down after a while. If you are sure its had a proper cleanout if spyware and a tidy up and is still slow, you could back up your stuff and do a reformat and reinstall.

I wouldn't take too much notice of what these programs report. What it says in your BIOS is more accurate.

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2006, 09:43 AM
why do my system specs show 2 cpus?

The CPU supports HT or Hyperthreading. Thats the reason for the 2 CPU's.

Its good if programs that are installed, support HT.

Try setting the BIOS to its defaults. If the ram is only 166 mhz, it maybe a limitation of the motherboard / chipset.

Does the system support 3200 ram?? Or just 2700 max?

chiefnz
27-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Sounds like your system just needs an overhaul. If you're not too fussed about it and can save all your desired work, I would just format the hard drive and re-install Windows XP. It's drastic but guarenteed to work 90% of the time.

cheers

chiefnz

Morgenmuffel
27-03-2006, 10:29 AM
What type of things are running at startup, are there lots of running processes even when you have no applications running,
what is your cpu/memory load like straight after the machine

Apteryx
28-03-2006, 03:12 AM
My apologies folks I pasted a number of screenshots into my query as examples but they never showed up.
Hijack this is too large for a screen shot, but I have done one from Task Manager. You will see they are nearly all Windows apps or security stuff. I always seem to have around 45-50 running. Is that average?
: Nope, it wont paste into this box!!! :angry
It pastes into Word fine! I there a block on pastes here?

yes I do declutter and empty everything going, weekly, havent seen any differenceIt would seem you dont think I shld increase the clock speed and could I do that with the RAM speed? If so how wld I go about it?

Jen
28-03-2006, 07:09 AM
My apologies folks I pasted a number of screenshots into my query as examples but they never showed up

: Nope, it wont paste into this box!!! :angry
It pastes into Word fine! I there a block on pastes here?You cannot embed images into your post on PressF1. You need to post the images externally and then provide a link to them. Use the image upload link that SurferJoe46 provided, upload your images and then post back in your thread with the URLs to those images.

You must paste your screenshot into an graphic program and save it as a jpg. You can use MS Paint for this.

Apteryx
28-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Aaaah! thanks Jen thats useful for the future