PDA

View Full Version : Is networking possible?

Groovvy
26-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I have windows XP. ADSL connection, 2 Computers with networks cards and a Dynalink RTA220 Router.

The router has 1 USB port and 1 Ethernet port.

I was wonderign if i could network the 2 computers. Please let me know if tats possible.

If it is possible, please let me know how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

EX-WESTY
26-03-2006, 10:17 PM
How far away are the computers from each other?
If they are in the same room simply purchase a 4/8 switched hub and plug that in the ethernet port on the router then use patch cords between the hub and the pc's. If one is in a different room simply cable to it. The router will be the default gateway to the net for both computers.

Groovvy
26-03-2006, 11:03 PM
The computers are right next to each other. So r u saying that i cannot the use the RTA220 router to connect the two computers together?

if i had to buy a switch/hub to connect the computers. it would probably easier if i just get another router with more ethernet ports. isnt?

EX-WESTY
26-03-2006, 11:07 PM
You can use one of the pc's via USB, the other can use Ethernet

Rob99
26-03-2006, 11:50 PM
You can get both on the net, 1 USB and the other Ethernet as already pointed out, but you will need a cheap switch if you want the two computers to share files etc.

Switches cost $30 - $40.

Groovvy
27-03-2006, 12:30 AM
ok im bit confused now. :) One of you are saying i can share the 2 computers with 1 connected to USB and another to ethernet.

Another is saying i cant use it connect between 2 computers.

Which is true??

i know and im sure that i can connect 2 computers with a router with atleast 2 ethernet ports and using a hub. But jus not sure abot USB and ethernet.

If i cant share files or net between two computers together using the Dynalink RTA220 router. just wondering how come i cant network the 2 computers with a USB and Ethernet.

Thanx.

Rob99
27-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Unless the Dynalink RTA220 Router has the ability to allow the network to happen you will either need a switch to get the computers talking to each other or a new router with four ports.

As I understand you can get both on the internet 1 USB and 1 Ethernet at the same time with the router you have.

Greven
27-03-2006, 10:58 AM
you can get both sharing the internet (some people say even that is a bit iffy) but your 2 computers won't be able to access each other.

You could always try out USB LAN for connecting the 2 computers together. I've never needed to try it so I have no idea how good it is.