PDA

View Full Version : Sound gaming problems with new computer

Tony Tucker
26-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I have just recently bought a new computer but are having some problems with playing games.
When I tried to play Conflict Desert Storm, I encountered some sound problems. Sometimes when shooting or reloading weapons, the sound is all distorted, or there is no sound at all!
I played this game on my mums computer and I did not have this problem at all. I tried another few games and had similar sound problems on another one(there was no sound at all from my weapon when I fired it).Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Trev
26-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Syetem info sound card etc, would help.

Trevor :)

Tony Tucker
26-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Syetem info sound card etc, would help.

Trevor :)I don't think it has a sound card, but it has built in sound from the Motherboard. It has a AC'97 Audio Controller. Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP04 - Audio Codec Interface.

SolMiester
26-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Tony, the game you have installed is configured for sound quality above your sound card ablility. Turn off 'EAX4 HD', just use 'EAX', or below.

Tony Tucker
27-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Tony, the game you have installed is configured for sound quality above your sound card ablility. Turn off 'EAX4 HD', just use 'EAX', or below.My Sound effect manager is set to "None" for the EAX setting. This problem happens intermitantly. This is Desert Storm 1, and it works fine on mums computer which has Sound Max on it. I have updated to the latest Realtek AC'97 driver, however I still have the same problem.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Tony, i have same chipset, and have had to try diff drivers to get working correctly. In the game, what setting do you have for sound? I'm not talking about the sound effects manager.

Tony Tucker
27-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Tony, i have same chipset, and have had to try diff drivers to get working correctly. In the game, what setting do you have for sound? I'm not talking about the sound effects manager.In Conflict Desert Storm it is set for maximum FX volume, and about medium for music volume. These are the only settings for sound in the game.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Are you sure Tony?, those are only the sound levels. Most new games have sound settings found in the options menu where you adjust graphics etc, or have a separate executable in the shortcuts menu.

Tony Tucker
27-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Are you sure Tony?, those are only the sound levels. Most new games have sound settings found in the options menu where you adjust graphics etc, or have a separate executable in the shortcuts menu.I can see no other sound options but FX volume and music volume. This game came out in 2002.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Okay, tell me who developed the game, I'll check the manual if possible. I'm still sure there are eax sound effects which can be switched on or off in the menu!

Tony Tucker
27-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Okay, tell me who developed the game, I'll check the manual if possible. I'm still sure there are eax sound effects which can be switched on or off in the menu! Conflict, Pivital Games, and SCi. This game came out on budget Big Bytes.

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 04:08 PM
it coud be just the audio drivers, did you say something about nvidia? one of my pc's has a gigabyte motherboard with nvidia chipset, when i used the cd that came with the motherboard it had the realtek sound drivers in the menu so i automatically installed those but i had problems with audio, it would distort and cut out so i uninstalled those drivers and browsed the cd and found nvidia sound drivers on there. this could be the same with you. if you have you're motherboard installation disk, have a browse through it and see what sort of audio drivers are on it, there maybe be an alternative

Tony Tucker
27-03-2006, 07:01 PM
it coud be just the audio drivers, did you say something about nvidia? one of my pc's has a gigabyte motherboard with nvidia chipset, when i used the cd that came with the motherboard it had the realtek sound drivers in the menu so i automatically installed those but i had problems with audio, it would distort and cut out so i uninstalled those drivers and browsed the cd and found nvidia sound drivers on there. this could be the same with you. if you have you're motherboard installation disk, have a browse through it and see what sort of audio drivers are on it, there maybe be an alternativeI did not get a Motherboard installation CD with my computer. My motherboard is an MSI with a Nvidia NForce 4 SLI chipset based. The Audio adapter is a Nvidia MCP04-Audio Codec Interface, so my Everest programme tells me.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 08:27 PM
I did not get a Motherboard installation CD with my computer. My motherboard is an MSI with a Nvidia NForce 4 SLI chipset based. The Audio adapter is a Nvidia MCP04-Audio Codec Interface, so my Everest programme tells me.

Tony, that isnt the sound chip but a description of a codex for audio installed on your PC

Jimmy could be correct re: the drivers installed. Do any other games behave in this manner, or just this one?

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Trying to get on a download server to get the demo!^%#%#@

Tony Tucker
28-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Tony, that isnt the sound chip but a description of a codex for audio installed on your PC

Jimmy could be correct re: the drivers installed. Do any other games behave in this manner, or just this one?I have the demo for Rainbow 6-Lockdown, and there is no sound from my weapons at all. There are the sounds from the enemy and my own squads weapons to be heard, but nothing from my own weapons though.

SolMiester
28-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Tony, sounds to me that Jimmy was right!. This is good news, we can find the correct/updated drivers for it.

The Everest Program will tell you the Motherboard Model MSI- XXXX, please post so we can find link for you.

Tony Tucker
28-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Tony, sounds to me that Jimmy was right!. This is good news, we can find the correct/updated drivers for it.

The Everest Program will tell you the Motherboard Model MSI- XXXX, please post so we can find link for you.Under DMI for the motherboard in the everest programme it says.......Product MS-7185 Version 1.0

SolMiester
28-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Tony, I reckon you have K8N SLI NF4 board with Realtek ALC850 7.1 (you have the extra surround speaker plate?). I have the same, and the drivers were pants.

try this set which are new

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=681&kind=1

or go to the Realteck website for these

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?Keyword=ALC850

Tony Tucker
28-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Tony, I reckon you have K8N SLI NF4 board with Realtek ALC850 7.1 (you have the extra surround speaker plate?). I have the same, and the drivers were pants.

try this set which are new

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=681&kind=1

or go to the Realteck website for these

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?Keyword=ALC850I have already updated to Realtek AC'97 5.10.0.6030 driver version allready, and the problem is still there.The driver version in the MSI link is older than the one I have now.

SolMiester
28-03-2006, 01:58 PM
The older one maybe better, i know i had fun with the driver, I may even have used the basic ac97 drivers. Just try them, what have you got to lose.

I have read about this issue before which lead to the other drivers, just tried to think where.

SolMiester
28-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Tony, this is from Steam web site relating to HL2, however is a common issue....
RealTek Drivers
There are older version of the Realtek drivers that do work properly, installing an older version will give you 5.1 sound. This is only for the AC97 series (AC97 up to ALC850).

AC97 Family
There are older working and perhaps a new driver that will work for 'AC97 generation chips.

Here is a summary of the Realtek driver versions:
Currently we are seeing that:

AC97 / etc up to ALC850:
3.55 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.57 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.63 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.66 has been reported to not work properly
3.67 has been reported to not work properly
3.68 is now available (30Dec2004) (but has been reported to not work properly)
3.69 is now available (03Feb2005) and has been reported to somewhat fix the HL2/CSS/Hl2DM 5.1 sound problems, there may be things only partially working on your particular system.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

Windows 2000/XP (and 98Gold/98se/Me) for Driver only.
For Windows 98 SE, DirectX(R)8 is required to enable advanced features:

ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe
ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe
ftp://202.65.194.18/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe

New In Version 3.69:

A3.69 -
1. Add some customized settings.
2. Add SPDIF IN pass throuth SPDIF Out item for some of ATI and nVidia chipsets.
3. Fix AC3 SPDIF blue screen issue when SPDIF-out force to 44K.
4. Change DMA Threshold from 06 to 10 to decrease noise for ATI SB400 chipset.
5. Update 3D engine to fix Half Life 2(Game) no sound issue and some noise issues.

Tony Tucker
28-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Tony, this is from Steam web site relating to HL2, however is a common issue....
RealTek Drivers
There are older version of the Realtek drivers that do work properly, installing an older version will give you 5.1 sound. This is only for the AC97 series (AC97 up to ALC850).

AC97 Family
There are older working and perhaps a new driver that will work for 'AC97 generation chips.

Here is a summary of the Realtek driver versions:
Currently we are seeing that:

AC97 / etc up to ALC850:
3.55 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.57 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.63 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.66 has been reported to not work properly
3.67 has been reported to not work properly
3.68 is now available (30Dec2004) (but has been reported to not work properly)
3.69 is now available (03Feb2005) and has been reported to somewhat fix the HL2/CSS/Hl2DM 5.1 sound problems, there may be things only partially working on your particular system.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

Windows 2000/XP (and 98Gold/98se/Me) for Driver only.
For Windows 98 SE, DirectX(R)8 is required to enable advanced features:

ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe
ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe
ftp://202.65.194.18/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe

New In Version 3.69:

A3.69 -
1. Add some customized settings.
2. Add SPDIF IN pass throuth SPDIF Out item for some of ATI and nVidia chipsets.
3. Fix AC3 SPDIF blue screen issue when SPDIF-out force to 44K.
4. Change DMA Threshold from 06 to 10 to decrease noise for ATI SB400 chipset.
5. Update 3D engine to fix Half Life 2(Game) no sound issue and some noise issues.I can not get any of those a3.69 links to work. I will try downloading the a3.80 driver in the morning. I think that I might have allready had that driver before I changed to the a3.84 driver however.

Tony Tucker
29-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I have tried the a3.80 driver, and it is just the same as the a3.84 driver. Is it possible that the AC'97 sound chip is damaged? Would a Creative Sound card be a lot better than motherboard sound, and a lot less trouble? I have heard rumors that Realtek is the Wallmart of computer parts. I would rather pay for a sound card if it would not give the trouble that this AC'97 chip does! I can get a Creative sound card for 70 dollars.