PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard,Cpu,Graphics Card

Volitle
25-03-2006, 09:53 PM
My motherboard or cpu just recenty fried on me, not sure which as i don't have anyway to test them. It was getting alittle old anyway so I need alittle help in buying a new one. I want to buy a Motherboard/CPU combo and a graphics card. I'm hesitant to buy mobo an cpu seperate as ive never installed a cpu before and don't want to ruin it. But I will try if I have too. I'm looking for something I can play games with, Everquest/Guild Wars, but I don't have a bunch of money. I need to get something around 250-300 dollars. That's all i have to buy Mobo,Cpu and Graphics card. That being said I was hoping someone could help me find something decent to buy in that price range. I will keep posting back with deals that I have found so far.

bob_doe_nz
25-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I take it your in the US?

Volitle
26-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Yes, I forgot to say..I have all the other things I need, hard drive,memory an even tower if I just get mobo,cpu seperate. The memory I have is DDR 333 2700 184 pin.

Volitle
26-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Ok a few things I'm wondering about, I'm seeing some new stuff I don't know what it is. On some of these motherboards I'm seeing PCI Express slots, x1 an x16. How are these defferent then normal PCI slots? Because the board is listing it has 3 PCI slots but 1 is PCI Express x16 and 2 are PCI Express x1. Do these work like regular PCI slots or do you have to have specific hardware for them? Also the board has a 1x XGP slot, what is that? lol. Does that work like an AGP slot? Looking at the board it looks like one.

3dparadox
26-03-2006, 04:15 AM
a PCI Express x16 slot is for PCI Express graphics cards which r twice the slot speed as a standard AGP slot and as for the PCI Express x1 slot that i believe is just a faster pci slot which i don't really see much use for.

chiefnz
26-03-2006, 06:50 AM
The most significant difference between PCI and PCI_Express slots is the bandwidth throughput. Both slots are 64 bit capable but the PCI_Express slots (X16) are capable of tranferring 1GB/sec.

cheers
chiefnz

pctek
26-03-2006, 08:47 AM
I need to get something around 250-300 dollars. That's all i have to buy Mobo,Cpu and Graphics card.
well I would get an AMD CPU, an ASUS MB (which one is up to you and your budget) and considering you are talking US dollars - a 6600GT.
No MB comes with a CPU attached but you could always get the shop to install it for you if you are hesitant about it. Its not hard - just a matter of reading the instructions, and being careful and not forcing things.

Volitle
27-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your guy's help, here is what I have found so far.

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131572

CPU http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16819104237

Graphics Card http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16814102666

Also would I need to buy thermal compound for the cpu?

Now that I know what PCI Express slots are though I'm going to be looking for a Motherboard and Graphics Card with them.

SolMiester
27-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi buddy, not sure why your asking NZ forum help when you have perfectly good help and perhaps local to boot, on US forums, however FYI most cpu packages come with standard HSF (heat sink & fan) along with the thermal paste already on the base of the HSF protected by film until mounting. :thumbs: