PDA

View Full Version : wireless router problems

Alison
25-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi, I am trying to be ambitious and upgrade things at home to network 3 computers and a Canon digital photocopier through a Dynalink wireless modem-router.

I had a desktop PC (Win XP) connected to a D-Link modem-router for internet connection. I also had the photocopier connected to the router to use as a printer from the PC. This was all working when I went to change the modem-router.

I have tried to connect 2 desktop PC's and a notebook to the Dynalink wireless router with the following results:

PC 1 (WinXP) = connected through cable to the router and will be the main PC when I get to the network stage. Internet is connected but I cannot download email or browse the internet. When I enter http://192.168.11 as the address, it also says that the internet is connected and that we are logged on. I also cannot print to the photocopier now.

PC 2 (Win ME) = connected to the router using a wireless USB adapter. I have entered the various IP, subnet, gateway, DNS info that I was given so it will connect to Xtra, our ISP provider. The Network Connection info indicates that the C is connecting to the router and has signal but again I can't download email or browse.

Notebook (Win XP) = connected to the router via wireless. Email and browser work fine.

Have I forgotten something basic or is there more to it than what I have done so far. Thanks for any suggestions to get things all working on the internet before I then go and try and network things to share files and the printer.

CliveM
25-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Alison
Others are far more knowledgable than I however for a start check that you have "sharing allowed" ticked in my network places and also with your printer.

berryb
25-03-2006, 11:31 PM
So the router has internet access since the notebook access all OK.

Are you using static IP's or DHCP? I would suggest you are using DHCP. If this is the case then both the XP and ME PC's need to be told to assign the IP address automatically. If you know what you are doing then set up static IP's. The Me PC sounds as though you have the IP etc of Xtra. This has to point to the router for access, that is the gateway anyway.

Best thing for networking is to make sure you can share files etc. Once you know the network is working correctly then get the internet going. Most times if you have the network working for sharing then the internet is working.

CYaBro
26-03-2006, 12:00 PM
On the printing side, you would need to check the IP address set on the photocopier to make sure it is in the range of 192.168.1.x