PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Watson: Average file size...

bob_doe_nz
25-03-2006, 02:03 PM
My brother just came to me for help with some missing disk space. It turned out that Doctor Watson was the cause. It had created one of the biggest log files I've ever seen...

1.39 Gigabytes! (basically the rest of the free drive space)

I've removed it and rebooted, and the monstronsity of a log file is coming back slowly. Also worth noting is that its hogging all the CPU cycles as well as lots of disk access.

HJT reveals diddly all for spyware, only a couple of mpeg,midi plugins for IE, and bootup material for Real Player. Antivirus with AVG is running as I type and Procexp from Sysinternals reveals nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm guessing its some sort of HW issue, I plan to reformat and reinstall Windows in a few days.

Now, Any ideas as to whats making it run to that size?

Graham L
25-03-2006, 02:41 PM
It probably does a memory dump. :D That can be fairly large. If it does a memory dump each time it wakes up ...

Dr Watson should just give a message when it is called. Maybe it has a n option in which it monitors operations, and that has accidentally been enabled.

Why not turn it off? Any hardware problem which fires up DrW should be telling the user that it has happened. If he's not being told, maybe nothing is happening.

bob_doe_nz
25-03-2006, 03:04 PM
OK problem fixed, I stopped DW while the log file was relatively smaller and had a look. It was Sygate firewall for some reason... :illogical

Reinstalled and behaving now...

FoxyMX
25-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I have had that happen to me and the cause was a program that wasn't playing very nicely. Can't remember which one it was now but an uninstall soon fixed it. The culprit was discovered after examining one of those "Send error report to Windows" messages which I never send anyway. :rolleyes:

i-gordon
26-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Dr Watson log files are generated more for Microsofts benefit than yours. (is there anyone around that has ever been able to interpret these files) I fixed the problem permanently by just deleting the Dr Watson Folder with no ill effects. Also disable Error Reporting in Administrative Services.

Ian