PDA

View Full Version : Saving Windows updates

sinndisco
25-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey dudes and dudesses, I often nuke my machine (and other peoples too, now and then) and do a clean reinstall of Windows. I often find this is the fastest way to fix a crippled machine. After activation and validation of Windows I allow windows update to do its thing. Does any one know how to download and save these updates to save me doing on-line updates. It would be a lot easier and quicker to do these from a shared folder on my network or even a CD.

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2006, 01:31 PM
When u go to windowsupdate, either select each update individually, which will take u to the MS site, or get something like Autopatcher (http://www.autopatcher.com)

Altho its a bit hard finding where to download all the updates!

It looks like it includes a few extras. I think its over 150+mb tho.

Pancake
25-03-2006, 01:46 PM
You may also order the CD (ttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/ordercd.mspx) free of charge from Microsoft.

bob_doe_nz
25-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Or if you have plenty of time on hand, startup MSUpdates and choose custom downloads.

Make a list of ALL the critical updates that it wants to download and then manually download each and every one of them from MS's site

Greg
25-03-2006, 02:17 PM
You may also order the CD (ttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/ordercd.mspx) free of charge from Microsoft.It doesn't appear to be free:

The CD costs U.S. $9.95 or CDN $14.95Also, that link (after adding the 'H' in http) takes you to SP1 update; not the patches.

Pancake
25-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Amazing.It was free......

Old Family
25-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Here is a couple of ideas in mind, but yet again you may have already tried them.

* Set your automatic updates in the control panel and choose the: "Notify me but don't automatically download and install them option". So when an update is available, you will receive a notification and then just click the link to go directly to that security update for that update. You can choose more than one Windows version (if you are using different systems)

* Go to the windows Update as mention earlier, and choose "Use administration options" feature instead of using "Express" or "Custom" and then choose "Windows Update catalog" option and everything should be simple for you from this point forward...

* If you’re like me, you may want to use another site, that has a list of the updates for that system found at: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/ I use this site more, because I don't have to go through the activation process and I can pick and choose the updates for different operating systems and versions as especially good for my slow dial up connection.

* Lastly, if you’re like me, you may want to consider using Qchain. Gather all your updates together and either create a batch or a script, type in all the updates and the switches needed for these updates and you should be away laughing. I use this method for both Windows 2000 and XP. Windows 2000 is at least over 200mb in size, since when I first started this project and I still use this when I start fresh with no service pack, or drivers installed. Meanwhile, if you are using Windows XP, 2003 Server, you do not need to have qchain as these systems only require for you to enter in the switches for each update.

In one way or another, we are quite a like, tired of downloading old and repeated updates time over and over again. Well, haven't been in this situation myself in years, as I only need to download and add the new update to my list when a new one comes out.

Hope this is any use to you?

sinndisco
25-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks heaps people, all advice has been taken on board. A lot easier for me now.