PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Pro accounts

johnd
25-03-2006, 11:40 AM
It seems to be my week for strange things happening:

Below are the facts as I see them:

1. Windows XP Pro laptop (not mine) with wireless access to LAN.
2. Administrator account in Safe Mode has been re-named
3. The Administrator account is now the same login name and password as the user expects to use to login to the LAN - but when they do so (or when they can do so at times), network resources are unreliable (file access, printing,..)
4. I think that the Administrator account has actually been renamed twice - and the strange thing is that the user can still seem to login with this account name and password even though the account is not listed!! (either in normal or safe mode).
5. When the user logs out, the current name of the administrator account is not listed - they appear to be logging out from the account that no longer exists (i.e. it's name appears!).

WHAT!!! is going on here?

I guess I should rename the account back to administrator in safe mode and create a new account for the user?

Thanks
John
Give me the predictablility and reliability of my Linux PC anyday!

johnd
26-03-2006, 10:08 PM
No thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks
John

bartsdadhomer
26-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Go start run and type:
control userpasswords2
Is the Admin account listed there?

johnd
26-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Go start run and type:
control userpasswords2
Is the Admin account listed there?

I haven't access to the PC at the moment - but I am not sure why this would give a different result than accessing the Control Panel user icon with the GUI?

gibler
26-03-2006, 11:30 PM
They aren't logging into a domain or something?

Have a look at the local users and groups: Start menu -> Run -> compmgmt.msc

Old Family
27-03-2006, 01:56 PM
I think that the Administrator account has actually been renamed twice - and the strange thing is that the user can still seem to login with this account name and password even though the account is not listed!! (either in normal or safe mode

I know that if you rename the administrator account, the name which you have renamed it to, will not be listed at all, under %documents and setings%username%. The default will still show it being as Administrator, not the name you have given to it. You still will have same rights

I guess I should rename the account back to administrator in safe mode and create a new account for the user?

I'm curious, why you need to use safe mode to rename the administrator account? You can do this will running windows by entering secpol.msc in your run box and under Local Policies\Security Options\ choose "Rename administrator account". The only time I've had to go into safe mode, was for troubleshooting only.

Cheers

Jimmy D
27-03-2006, 02:25 PM
go to start>control panel, if using xp on the left panel click 'classic view', go to Administrative Tools > Computer Management under system tools go to local users and groups then go to users, it should list all the local accounts wether the've been re-named, disabled or whatever, you can delete and create new accounts in there if you like

kingdragonfly
27-03-2006, 03:21 PM
johnd, are you sure you're not getting the local administrator account mixed up with a domain admin account? They are distinctly different.

For example: "MyPC\administrator" is different than "MyDomain\administrator", even if they're both called "administrator" (a bad idea for security reasons, by the way).

As Old Family mentioned, renaming the administrator account is usally done through the local security policy; a safe-mode boot shouldn't make any difference.

J ZEP
27-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi John, as Old Family and Kingdragonfly have already mentioned, this is caused by changing the "accounts name" in control panel -

More here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897083/en-us)

HTH

johnd
27-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your comments people - I plan to have a go in sorting this out tomorrow.

The laptop is not part of a domain at this stage - just logging into a workgroup.