PDA

View Full Version : Apple Laptop and External HDD

Term_X
24-03-2006, 07:59 PM
hi team!

im borrowing a friends apple mac laptop to play some music at a wedding reception and ive got all my mp3s on a HDD that i was going to put in an usb external enclosure and then connect it to the laptop.

will the laptop be able to read my drive, being that its apple and my hdd is formatted ntfs?

*really really hoping answer is yes*

Term X

Safari
24-03-2006, 08:36 PM
From http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320

Moving hard drive

While it is possible to move some IDE PC hard drives into some model Macintosh computers, this is not the recommended method of transferring data and it should only be used by experienced computer users who understand how to install and format PC hard drives. It is only possible to read FAT and FAT32 formatted drives in a Macintosh. Do not use NTFS formatted drives in a Macintosh computer.

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther works with local NTFS-formatted volumes. The volume will be read-only.

Warning: NTFS formatted drives cannot be used in a Macintosh (except as read-only with Mac OS X 10.,3 as noted above). If you attempt to use a NTFS formatted disk, upon starting up the Mac OS will prompt you to format the drive. Do not format the drive, doing so will erase the contents of the drive. If you have an NTFS formatted disk, you must use another method to transfer the data from the PC to the Macintosh.

Term_X
24-03-2006, 09:31 PM
i thought i could attach a usb external ntfs formatted drive to the laptop, theres only mp3s on there, and all i need to do is be able to read the mp3s.

so icant even do that? :-( done some googling and i read that ntfs volumes can be read just not written to.

plod
25-03-2006, 12:40 PM
It should read the external drive with no problems

Term_X
26-03-2006, 04:43 PM
cheers for that plod i can confirm that also. read it perfectly with no problems at all .

plod
26-03-2006, 05:15 PM
sometimes people just read to much into the question asked :thumbs: