PDA

View Full Version : slimline computers

effie c
24-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi,
Would somone advise me on Compaq slimline P4 ,2MHz, 20 gb h/d computer advertised in trade Me?
to me it looks like the old fashioned horizontal early 'pooters -
The specs are near what I want and it is ready installed with XP Pro - which I don't need ( I have a CD of my own)
is this worth a follow up please?
Would like the pros and cons, - I have any amount of room for a tower or this slimline, but am wary of the "old style tower so to speak :help:
effie c

Metla
24-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Replacement PSU is probally in the region of $400, High probability that it uses a non-standard motherboard, in layout and connections, Upgrades and add-ins are most probally impossible (Optical drives, Hard drives,) ram slots are probally limited.

Seeing as you havn't shown us the actual comp, Im just throwing out the common guff, I wouldn't wish a compaq on anyone, and that is muliplied 10 billion for a Compaq Slimline.

effie c
24-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Metla,
And thank you very much for an answer which leaves no question in my mind -namely --NOT to proceed-this guy had an add in Trade me and a 2 page list of other computers etc at the bottom of his initial, "come on" page- and a remarkable lot were slim line- they, were/ are very tempting but your comment my caution has paid off- thank you again.
I have joined F1 Trade which is under your control may I wish you the very best in the project which has a great potential ( I have even advertised on it looking for a replacement tower- here is hoping
:blush:
effie c

Metla
24-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I saw your ad on Tradef1,Its not really clear that its a "Wanted-to-buy" advert, I would suggest you re-write it, I cant remember if their is a specific WTB catagory on the site but I would at least put it in the title.

effie c
24-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi Metla,
OUCH! that was a specific -I "wanted to buy" - Have just revisisted trade F1 and my add IS in "wanted to buy" but when I went into it it shows me as seller- how do I alter that to buyer, there is no edit tab as yet?
effie c

Metla
24-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I threw up an ad of my own, just to show how I would have written it.

$400 aye?

Do you have any hardware that could be recycled into the new one?, Harddrive, optical drive?

I could probally throw something together using mostly new parts.....

effie c
24-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Metla,
now I am in a bind - have just edited my previous post to you
Yes I basicly wanted a much faster CPU- at present I have
18.3 gb in 2 h/d total 504 mb SD ram AND k6 -3D CPU ( these read off the properties in "my computer"
I am told that I cannot update the CPU using the motherboard and CPU I have.
The pooter is 7 years old but works O K though the h/d 's make rude noises sometimes and if they crash I am in trouble as f/d cannot contain enough back up space.
I am looking for an effective speed of not less than 2.ghz cpu and have a cd/rewriter in place of my 52 speed CD rom.
The only way I can see a future is to replace- hence the dealings with trade& Exchange,Trade Me, etc etc etc
Finance is a problem - it certainly was NOT a while ago but circumstances------ :o
I would hope to limit any expense to $500 in a recent model tower or $400 using your method, on this tower-- no objection to 2/h
effie c

Metla
24-03-2006, 09:30 PM
The wanted to buy catagory was tacked on after the site went live, so currently you can only be listed as the seller, Plans were drawn up to seperate the WTB listings from the for sale items, But no work is being done on the site at this time, The way its constucted is well outside my skills, and Max (who built the site) is too busy making his millions to dedicate the required time.

If teh HD's make rude noises then I wouldn't suggest re-using them. Anyhow, Ill look up a few things, and then contact you via your tradef1 ad. I have a few new items of hardware left over that could be put to use.

effie c
24-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi,
Thank you--again
One point I forgot- my present tower which also contained the topped out hardware is to low/small( 15 " in my lamguage- whereas if it was 18" upwards-- to cope with a greater power unit and cooling fan-it looks good in it's two tone colour but ----
All this points to NOT being able to use much if any of my equipment - ho hum such is life
Will await contact
effie c

Metla
24-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, No worries, I wasn't even considering figuring your old case into it, Might a well keep that as a going system or sell it.

Anyhow, I maynot be able to configure anything, My main supplier went out of the computer whole sale bizzo, and my backup supplier were closed down due to debt....

So, Scratching around some companies I have rarely used.....Will contact ya with whatever I can come up with though.