PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Ghost Image

Strommer
24-03-2006, 08:09 AM
How can Norton's Ghost (version 8) automatically split the image (clone of the OS / HD) file into segments so they will fit onto CDs? I have read the Symantec page here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999020412133425?Open&src=&docid=1998123107455525&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=)
and it states:

"To have Ghost split an image file as it creates the image file, run the Ghost executable (Ghost.exe, Ghostpe.exe, or Ghostwks.exe) with the "-SPLIT=n" command line switch, where "n" is the maximum size for any of the segments (files). For example:

a:\ghost.exe -split=600 -auto

limits the image size to a maximum of 600 megabytes (MB) for any one segment."

...but I do not understand what is meant by "run the Ghost executable...", and why do they give the example using "a:\" which is the floppy drive?

I have successfully made a .GHO image file of the HD and it compressed it nicely, from about 8 Gb to less than half; it is saved on the PC's second HD. Under Ghost's OPTIONS I ticked the SPAN box but there was no place to tell it how many spanned segments there should be, and during this second attempt it split the image file into two, each around 1.8 Gb, still too large for a CD.

Finally, I find it odd that Ghost did not give an option for making a bootable floppy. I would prefer not to use a floppy at all, booting (in the case of a HD failure or damaged OS) straight from a CD or DVD, but from my previous thread on Ghost of a few days ago, it seems that a floppy is needed for the CD and DVD drivers. However, when making the image file, I did go for the option of including SCSI support, which I believe has to do with CD drives.

BTW, I was going to try Powerquest Drive Image, but that program did not support making an image of a partition; my 120 Gb HD has a separate partition for the OS and programs.

Thanks for your help.

gibler
24-03-2006, 08:54 AM
It means from the DOS prompt type and hit enter:

ghost.exe -split=600 -auto

from ye manual "Spanned image files are similar to size-limited multi-segment image files.
The difference is that each segment file (or span) of the image file is
limited by the actual volume size of the media the image is being saved to"

There is around a 2GB limit when saving to a hard drive under DOS.

My favourite ghost running option is: ghost.exe -Z9 -split=680

And once you make your bootable floppy, then you can just use Nero or similiar to make a bootable ISO (DVD or CD).

Myth
24-03-2006, 08:55 AM
How can Norton's Ghost (version 8) automatically split the image (clone of the OS / HD) file into segments so they will fit onto CDs? I have read the Symantec page here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999020412133425?Open&src=&docid=1998123107455525&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=)
and it states:

"To have Ghost split an image file as it creates the image file, run the Ghost executable (Ghost.exe, Ghostpe.exe, or Ghostwks.exe) with the "-SPLIT=n" command line switch, where "n" is the maximum size for any of the segments (files). For example:

a:\ghost.exe -split=600 -auto

limits the image size to a maximum of 600 megabytes (MB) for any one segment."

...but I do not understand what is meant by "run the Ghost executable...", and why do they give the example using "a:\" which is the floppy drive?

Within ghost somewhere (I know Ghost 2003 definitely supports this) there is the ability to make a ghost boot disk (onto floppy). The main file on this floppy is the executable (ghost.exe and so on).
Reboot the machine to the floppy (you may need to change boot order to allow floppy to be first in line); run the command at the command prompt ( a:\ghost.exe -split=600 -auto) and voila, you should at the end of it have a collection of 600MB files.

BTW, I don't think you can do anything with the 4GB compressed file you have now

Old Family
24-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Normally, you create a ghost bootable disk, using (ghost boot wizard). You can choose to use, floppy disk, CDVD, etc. The only problem though, is that you will need two disks. I used to use this method, but got tired of inserting one disk after another, so I went to using a CD instead. You can use your 9SE boot disk and copy the ghost application over.

I have successfully made a .GHO image file of the HD and it compressed it nicely, from about 8 Gb to less than half; it is saved on the PC's second HD. Under Ghost's OPTIONS I ticked the SPAN box but there was no place to tell it how many spanned segments there should be, and during this second attempt it split the image file into two, each around 1.8 Gb, still too large for a CD.

You can repeat this process again provided you still have enough space using ghost explorer and then set your size for the image. Just open up ghost explorer and choose open. Open up the first image, if it isnít the right one, ghost will tell you so. It may take a while because of the size of your image.

Once done, go to span go to view - options
In the span split point (MB) type in ??? MB
Tick auto name spans, if you want ghost to create one for you.
Click OK.
Go to File
Select Compile
Type in a Name

Finally, I find it odd that Ghost did not give an option for making a bootable floppy. I would prefer not to use a floppy at all, booting (in the case of a HD failure or damaged OS) straight from a CD or DVD, but from my previous thread on Ghost of a few days ago, it seems that a floppy is needed for the CD and DVD drivers. However, when making the image file, I did go for the option of including SCSI support, which I believe has to do with CD drives.

Just create an ISO image of the windows 98 bootdisk and another one for Ghost 2003 (both disks) and copy all these files over onto a cd. I also include my drivers, pqmagic, ghost2003, files on my cd for troubleshooting and when I am starting from scratch.

BTW, I was going to try Powerquest Drive Image, but that program did not support making an image of a partition; my 120 Gb HD has a separate partition for the OS and programs.

As far as I am aware of, if your powerquest drive image is 8.0 and higher it should support hard drives of that size. If you only have Pqmagic 7.0 like me, then the limitation supports up to 80GB.

Hope this was any use

Strommer
25-03-2006, 08:10 AM
TAzz, Gib, and OldFamily: thanks much for the advice. Will give it a go soon and report back. The detailed answers alongside my questions are especially appreciated, OldFamily.

Powerquest - it is not the SIZE of the HD, but the partition in the HD that it cannot handle. Ghost has no problem with cloning a partition.

Tazz, the 4 Gb image should be OK to use as it is on the second HD. However, having back up CDs, and maybe DVDs, will be best in case the whole shebang goes up in smoke or gets pinched or if there is a double HD failure.