PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Outlook and contacts

asdex
21-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi, am helping a friend with his laptop he has just bought. I have transfered all his documents and emails from his desktop computer to his laptop. One problem is that there is no send button on his toolbar. Its WinXP and Outlook 2003. I have looked in Customise bot there is no send there. Also on his desttop PC when he puts the first letter of someones name in the too area a list comes up with names starting with that letter. It doesn't do that on his laptop. I have checked in his address book and contacts but there is nothing there to transfer over to the laptop. Where would the program be getting the names from id not the address book which is empty?
Thanks,
asdex

SilentNight
21-03-2006, 09:36 PM
No idea for the send/receive button on the toolbar, however pressing F9 will invoke the Send/Receive process which I guess could be a temporary solution until the problem is solved?
Else go into the options and set a send/receive every 10 minutes or so.

As for the address book, Outlook has it's own "Address Book" which is part of the program, along with the standard Windows Address Book (which is used for Outlook Express). Have you tried checking the Windows Address Book and seeing what's in there?
start > run > wab.exe

asdex
21-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks I'll try that and let you know.

SolMiester
21-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi, the list of name brought up automatically is in the cache generated as you send emails to new users. The file will be username.nk2, probably found in the hidden folder of \documents & settings\username\application date\microsoft\outlook where you will also find any address book

The best way to bring accross personal files & setting in windows is use the 'file & setting transfer wizard to selct the settings & files you require. The app is find in the system tools menu
To get the 'send & recieve' button back, right click the toolbar you have, you should see a tick by standard toolbar, if not put it there, if it is, select customise & use the options to drag the button back onto your toolbar

asdex
22-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks very much. I will have a look for this file and advise about how the list is produced. Over time it should build up again. I have looked in the Customise/standard tool bar and the send icon isn't there. The program was set on using Word as the email editor but I changed that back to Outlook. Still didn't find the send icon in any tool bars. I guess a new install of Outlook may be needed incase its been deleted although I don't think he has a disk.
Thanks,
asdex

SolMiester
22-03-2006, 12:16 PM
If you have the 'standard' toolbar turned on, it should have the button, however if it has been removed, it is easy to get back, no need for another install, it will only copy existing configuration of outlook.

So to replace, right click on any toolbars shown, go to customise, the toolbar tabs advises which toolbars are active, click on commands tab, standard catagory and scroll to the 'send/rec' button, left click and hold, drag onto the toolbar at top of the program, then close customise options

asdex
22-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Excellent, thanks very much. One last question, how do I get rid of the "Mail favorite folders" window which is above "All main folders"?
Thanks

SolMiester
22-03-2006, 12:57 PM
The Mail Favourites is part of the 'Navigation Pane', so you have to customise that view, but not sure at present, will look into it.

Edit

Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003

You can keep your most frequently used folders right where you can keep an eye on them — without scrolling and where it's easy to see when new items appear. (Only e-mail items can be added to this pane.) Or if you aren't using Favorite Folders and want to empty it to save space in the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), you can also do that.

Note You can't remove or move the Favorite Folders pane from the Navigation Pane. For a view that doesn't display Favorite Folders, try using the Folder List (Folder List: Displays the folders available in your mailbox. To view subfolders, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder. If the Folder List is not visible, on the Go menu, click Folder List.) view. Just click the Folder List button or its icon at the bottom of the Navigation Pane. To go back to Mail pane view, click the Mail button or its icon at the bottom of the pane.

asdex
23-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks very much. i hope to look at the computer tonight and sort those points out.
Cheers,
asdex