PDA

View Full Version : Security Zones

SurferJoe46
21-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I tried to add a site to my Host Files area, and I got told:

"The site you specified already exists in another zone. Please remove the site from that zone before adding it to the current zone".

What I want to ask is where is "the other" zone that I have it in? Is there any way to find where it might be?

I am thinking that it might be in a security program like Spybot or AdAware or so...is that possible? How would I know without drilling thru all those areas?

What are the chances that it is in someplace that allows it as opposed to denies it? :dogeye:

tweak'e
21-03-2006, 02:25 PM
???? where are you tring to add it?

the host file is simply a text file, there are no "zones" etc.

i suspected you need to expain in some detail what your trying to do.

SurferJoe46
21-03-2006, 02:52 PM
To see what I am talking about, try this: Click on Internet Options from the Control Panel, and then on Security, then click on Restricted Sites and see it yourself... :cool:

I have added the 5th zone there too...My Computer, and I set the security there pretty high too.

Add it yourself if you want to like this:

Start>>RUN, type in regedit, hit OK, then start drilling down thru HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRE NT SETTINGS\ZONES*

then click on the (zero) 0\FLAGS = dword and right click to change the value to OX00000001 (1) from the (33) or (21) that was there.

Re-collapse all the open tree areas and go all the way back to the top (or the change may not take) EXIT from the TOOLS area and reboot (Windows Key, U, then R)

Open the Internet Options area again, and in the SECURITY tab you'll now see the new area called MY COMPUTER.

* THE ACTUAL ENTRY THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE: CURRENT SETTINGS, but I cannot get it to edit correctly...there is not supposed to be a space in between the letters in there...sorry! :angry

tweak'e
21-03-2006, 02:56 PM
thats not HOST file.

did you check your othe IE zones? commanly sites are added to the "restriced" zone.

whats the point of adding addresses to "my computer" zone ?

SurferJoe46
22-03-2006, 03:46 AM
That's what I was trying to do...add another name to the Restricted Zone, and I got told it already existed in another Zone...that's the real problem for which I was seeking an answer.

BTW: The My Computer Zone is just protection that should be invoked on a networked 'puter...wirless comes to mind, especially cyber cafes that provide services. This keeps something a little off-limits to shadows and mirrors. Unless the 5th zone is invoked, there is no default value for it...it needs to be toggled by calling it out of the opsys and run on the Security area to make it work.

Laura
22-03-2006, 04:57 AM
It sounds a bit "Twilight Zone" to me, Joe.

SolMiester
22-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Are you using NTFS?, XPpro?, use the rights instead!

SurferJoe46
22-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Are you using NTFS?, XPpro?, use the rights instead!

XP-PRO, SP-2, NTFS, All updates and Fixes installed, WGA, 4/200g on RAID 0+1, 4/200g on JBOD, 1/40g OPSYS, (I collect movies, using the RAID array for decoding/ripping and the JBODs for storage. SOYO Plat-Dragon, Athlon XP OC'd to 3.5, GForce FX5500.

I thought I was working on the rights...no? :groan:

SolMiester
22-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Not exactly, security zones are internet related & restrict your OWN access!.

If you are trying to tighten down security to stop others peeking at your files you use the NTFS file system rights.

Perhaps you should confirm for us what you are doing!

tweak'e
22-03-2006, 05:46 PM
joe..are you sure its not listed in there somewhere? did you check wildcards?

SurferJoe46
23-03-2006, 04:01 AM
joe..are you sure its not listed in there somewhere? did you check wildcards?

Yeah I checked for wildcards, and I didn't find it there...but the thing that gets me is that the message tells me it's in ANOTHER area....and that's what I am trying to find.

I look at it this way: If it's in another zone, and it's some sort of approved one, then I cannot blackball it while it exist in a place that marks it as OK...right?

I just want to FIND where it is residing....and that's my quest....

Tried SEARCH...nope!

Used Google Desktop Search...nope!

The Local Machine (5th Area; MY COMPUTER) zone includes all of the content on the local computer, except for data that is stored in the Temporary Internet Files web cache, or classes that have been specifically signed with local machine privileges. This zone is very much like the Trusted Sites zone. Security is extremely minimal, or not present at all. Unless otherwise configured by an administrator, network connections can also fall into this zone.

In theory, even when properly configured, malicious content could make its way into the Local Machine zone. For example, an employee may be browsing a restricted site. On one of the pages, there could be a malicious script that looks for and transmits password files to a malicious web site. As a restricted site, the script is still part of the downloaded web page, but it won’t run due to the security restrictions that are in place. But say that the employee decides to save the page to their hard drive for later inspection. They do this by clicking File and Save As, which saves the page – including the malicious script – to their hard drive. Later they open the page on their hard drive. Because they are accessing a file on their local system instead of via a World Wide Web URL, the Local Machine zone will be applied. Because security for this zone is extremely low or nonexistent, the malicious script could execute and cause damage or silently transmit data.

I know this seems trivial....but if one cannot control what is and isn't acceptable, that is a challenge.......check out this site (http://www.nwnetworks.com/iezones.htm) .