PDA

View Full Version : deleting nprotect files after program removal

stuckagain
19-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I removed Norton Utilities some time ago and the nprotect recycle folder, complete with files still remains.
despite many tries (adding file extensions, trying in safe mode, I am still unable to remove files and the nprotect folder.

has anyone overcome this same problem in the past, ... if so your help would be much appreciated. ... many thanks. :dogeye:

Terry Porritt
19-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Nortons is a pain :thumbs:

I removed System Works 2002 Utilities some time ago and had similar problems. removed umpteen entries manually from the registry. I forget how I deleted the nprotect folders, but nprotect has tentacles everywhere. I probably changed the folder properties.

But I just found this, which deals with the problem:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/94102.html

Terry Porritt
19-03-2006, 02:28 PM
You could also try going to Symantec site:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/select_product_ts.html

Enter your product details and put 'uninstall' in the search box, quite detailed instructions for uninstall can be found.

stuckagain
19-03-2006, 08:13 PM
thanks for the advise.
the link you gave me accessed the info I needed and it worked a treat thanks to
sided00r.
the command path is del\\?\c:\recycler\nprotect\*.*
its gone and I'm one happy chappie.

regards
stuckagain

Minshu
04-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I've tried that command prompt line with no luck. My Nprotect folders are stuck on other drives than C:, since I added the current C drive after Norton was uninstalled. Now, there's nothing I can seem to do to get rid of those files. Yes, I changed the drive in the command line for the suggested fix, but all it does is sits there, not doing a damn thing. No confirmation, no removal... nothing.

Any other ideas? After all this time I thought I was done with Norton only to have to clean up more crap of thiers MONTHS later....

Please help, I'd like my hijacked space back from the Norton black hole :(

MTLance
04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I got no problems with my Norton System Works anyway, you guys must be using different version from mine, plus don't crash your computer or Norton will screw this up for ya.

Minshu
04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I got no problems with my Norton System Works anyway, you guys must be using different version from mine, plus don't crash your computer or Norton will screw this up for ya.

Many things can cause issues to come about, but if you had read all the posts here, you'd realize this has nothing to do with versions. More than likely, the cause is simply, not clearing the Norton Protected Recycle bin before you uninstall Norton. Well, they don't tell you that, and if you never plan on installing the garbage again and get rid of the disks, it's like they hold your space hostage until you break down and reinstall to fix the problem. That's just plain not happening, not with the trail of continuos crap it leaves on your machine.

So, thanks for that, I'll be sure not to crash my 'puter'...

P.S.
If Norton screws things up because your computer crashes, that should speak volumes about Norton.

MTLance
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Yes, Norton can cause serious problem when you've crashed the computer, use a much more powerful computer to feed Norton if not the system will be crashed and all sorts of problem coming up.:horrified And you system performance will turn into a night mare.
Be careful to feed this type of software.;)

Minshu
04-06-2006, 08:00 PM
So, what you're telling me is, Norton will fail and cause your computer to fail as well if you don't meet some 'unposted' minimum requirements that you seem to be making up as you go along?

A more powerful computer? Compared to what? As I see, no one here mentioned what hardware they were on.

Feed Norton? No thanks, it has already consumed enough of my time.

And this?

And you system performance will turn into a night mare.
If I'm not mistaken, System Works exists to do just the opposite. Afterall, it's supposed to fix problems and performance issues...right? Then why would having performance issues cause more performance issues with the software installed?

It's quite clear you don't natively speak english, which is completely fine, but as you can see here from my mockery above, you're doing nothing but confusing the topic. I appreciate your 'input', but maybe you should leave it to someone else on this one...

MTLance
04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Ok. Lets go back to the topic helping you out. I did uninstalled my Norton System Works 2005 already and nothing happened to it.
Did you try to reinstall Norton System Works to fix this problem? My recycle bin is back to normal at the moment I wonder how's yours? Sometimes reinstalling and uninstalling can fix this problem. I did fix the problem with this method, when Norton have problems. REMEMBER WHEN INSTALLING AND UNINSTALLING DON'T CRASH THE SYSTEM, BE PATIENT!!! You'll screw it up again. I hope this will help you guys.
Sorry for bad English if you have notice it.

ughnz
05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I removed Norton Utilities some time ago and the nprotect recycle folder, complete with files still remains.
despite many tries (adding file extensions, trying in safe mode, I am still unable to remove files and the nprotect folder.

has anyone overcome this same problem in the past, ... if so your help would be much appreciated. ... many thanks. :dogeye:

Have you checked the ownership on the folder?

I would try changing the ownership of the folder to admin and granting full access to admin.
Don't forget to apply changes to all files and subfolders.

MTLance
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I mean you're using same Windows right? So no ownership changes required unless you're using another same Windows in there. Use Administrator account to do this not client.